Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / quality/parameter question on field flux core
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-13-2011 00:08
I remember back in the day running a gas shielded flux core on containment dikes.  It fillets and occasional butt joints were pathetically easy and fast.   I am looking for a good way to weld 14-16GA plain steel tubing effectively in the field off a CC power supply.  The gasless flux core (.032-.035) hobart fabsheild 23 is doing an ok job.  I am thinking a gassed wire with CO2 would work far better.   A little additional cost, the gas etc. is fine.  I just want better welds with less rework and patching.   The guys doing the work are 1-2 year welders...not by any standard journeymen.   Most of the verticals on the thinner materials are being run downhill, and it is good to note that this is repair work on 20 something year old highly weathered steel.     Any insights you guys can provide are much appreciated....I am a true amateur when it comes to flux core welding.

Thank you in advance
Tommy
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-16-2011 09:30
On those gauges in verticle with inexperienced welders FCAW will be tough. Experiment with .035 and stay away from CO2.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-16-2011 11:46
Js55

Why stay away from CO2?

Have you actually run a premium FCAW electrode with 100% CO2 in the last 5 years?

Hobart, Lincoln, ESAB, Kobleco?

They are very user friendly. The many people I test are consistantly producing all position unlimited thickness performance quals with the stuff.   .045 CO2 Shielded ESAB 710X will run 400 ipm vert-up with no spatter or undercut.. Weaves or stringers.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-16-2011 21:00
Lawrence,
About a box car full of it.  :)
The reasons I recommended staying away from CO2 is because of thin gauge material, inexperienced welders, and the broad heat pattern of CO2.
Now, if you've fabricated under these conditions and have had success I will defer. I was taking a conservative approach, and advising what I thought was the best chance of success.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-16-2011 21:25
Thin material... I can see that part I suppose. 

My experience with it is only down to about 11 ga. which isn't really sheet metal in my book  :)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-16-2011 14:59
Hello Tommy, is this work code work? You had mentioned using a CC power source, you will likely need to qualify a procedure with this if it is to a code.
     14-16 GA. weathered/rusted steel can be a bearcat any way you cut it and whether you use a self-shielded or gas-shielded electrode vertical up/down or otherwise will be difficult when dealing with a lot of contamination. I am assuming that you are having both external and internal rust issues along with other contaminants to contend with. Are you able to do any prep work on the joints? ie. grinding, blasting, or anything like that?
     You may wish to consider one of the E71T-GS wires as I believe they are a bit more tolerant to contamination issues and can be run either vertical up or down. This wire is not a code wire, however.
     Certainly don't envy your job there by the sound of it. ;You'll likely have to do some experimenting til you find something that fits the bill the best. Describe the application/challenge a bit more if you can, include some pictures, myself and others might have a few better suggestions/answers if you can provide a bit more detail. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-17-2011 02:43
basically it is a R&R job of a lot of existing damaged/over weathered handrail.  Sections are being cut out and replaced, others are being left.  All the metal is cleaned as best as possible in the field then joined to new tubing.  This is farm code at best work  LOL!!!   The budget is too low to replace it all...that is what needs to be done but oh well.    Actually the fabshield 23 is doing an amazing job...better then I expected by far.....but I would like to improve it if possible.   I run some uphills with the stuff and was tickled how easy it was and the end result.   But pinholes and poor weld profiles are a normal thing to contend with...more from old material I would guess.......so clean and go back and weld again...more time more time more time.....less time with grinders would be great.  

We are using a .035 wire.  I thought the co2 would help with the dirty material issues, but if it would cause more heat input or something like that it would not help.   ???????
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-17-2011 07:46
Are you using an internal sleeve? You know how 1-1/2" pipe will slide into a 2" std wall? I've found that having a "chill ring" seems to help on the excess heat drawing contaminants into the splice area when dealing with similar situations as you are describing. Another thought of mine has been that there is a lot of moisture built up inside existing handrails and gets sucked in while welding.
Good luck on that. Hope that "chasing the keyhole/blow-outs" doesn't bite into your profits too much.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-18-2011 02:21
ahhh  that is an excellent point

John it will be money no matter what, just trying to lower labor and maximize a bit more, it is a long term job.  I reckon that is a good idea....see if I can find something that will fit into both tubes, we could weld slightly hotter and get better results.  20 yr old flash welded tube vs modern flash welded tube...a good fit won't happen but finding a suitable backup strip is entirely possible...thank you so much for the idea!!!!

I get told a lot , "dude you know everything", I just say I am far from it.  + I always tell these young guys, if you think you have arrived and know it all...go find something else to do for a living because your attitude just made you worthless.  I learn new things about this game constantly... I think that is why I love it so much.
- By jbndt (**) Date 05-28-2011 19:02
Try this site ... Inserts/back-up rings for almost any tube/pipe hand-rail job.

http://www.wagnercompanies.com/connectors_for_pipe_and_tube.aspx

Cheers,
jb
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / quality/parameter question on field flux core