Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIG Welding 4130
- - By dtm88 Date 11-02-2002 01:59
My question is two fold.

Can a mig welder be used for a 4130 chomemoly race car chassis and can 1018 be mig welded to 4130?

Does D1.1 specify a certain welding process for 4130?
Parent - - By Kix474 (*) Date 11-02-2002 05:14
I would say yes to welding your cage with mig using an ER70S-2 or-6 wire, but u better be good. We use tig process for less heat input and better and more consistent tie in and that same tig rod either a -2 or -6. They say to use a mild steel rod like what i considered because it gives flex in a crash or roll whereas using a chromoly rod on 4130 would make it stiffer and more likely to snap or fracture in a crash or roll. The only problem i see using mig is insuficient tie in in unpredictable areas,and a broader heat affected zone. NHRA drag cages are all tig welded and stress releaved after welding. If you just doing some dirt track racing at your local tracks you'll be fine. As far as welding 1018 to 4130 i don't know any metallurgical fact on that. I'm sure it will weld to it but as far as strength and reliabilit i have no idea. I don't think NASA would be doing it,but it depends on what your doing or how fast your going to be going. Hope i could help alittle and good luck to ya..
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 11-03-2002 18:38
dtm:
Your post is actually trifold;
1.) Yes
2.) Yes
3.) No

Hoping to make the Winternationals this year.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIG Welding 4130