Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 5 Minute Welding Process Intro
- - By eekpod (****) Date 05-16-2011 23:57
Guys,
I have been asked to give a brief presentation to explain the differences between the SMAW, GMAW, and GTAW welding processes.
Literally in 5 minutes.

Is anyone aware of any handy literature I can use or make copies of to use for the presentation?

I imagine it will be to about 20 people.  The reason for this is to explain how GTAW is a "cleaner" and more exact process than SMAW or GMAW.  My customer uses GTAW only on stainless steel and aluminum only.  He wants to point out how it doesn't spark and spatter like the other two processes.

Thanks
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-17-2011 12:22
Seems you could make your own visual aids, a piece of clean plate, perhaps knock off the mill scale so it is shiny metal. Then maybe another piece on top tack welded to the clean one. Then make 3 of them, run several passes of stick, mig and tig on each one. With this you could show the precise control of the tig by running a tiny fillet or something and do fillets on the mig/stick with similar size rod, say, 3/32 for all processes. Just a thought, good luck.

Shawn
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 05-17-2011 23:24
Tig weld two razor blades together edge to edge and use a visual aide to show the precision and control that can be obtained by this process.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 05-19-2011 10:18
Thanks Guys for the input.

I guess I'm trying to relay to them how much more SMAW/GMAW sparks and spatters vs. GTAW but the problem is I'll be in an office enviroment so I can't actually do the process in front of them.
I was thinking pictures or illustrations of the processes while they are being used, not the end product.

Is there a list of pro vs con of each process somewhere?
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 05-19-2011 19:26
You could show a picture of some dumb helper cleaning spatter off of a GMAW weld while the GTAW welder is still having fun welding.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-20-2011 02:20
You could take a little 110 volt MIG and a 110 volt TIG inverter in the office & show them. When the papers on the desk catch fire, You will have gotten their attention.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-20-2011 01:56
Big differentiation is that in MIG and stick you're melting the electrode and it breaks down into droplets which tend to splatter all over the place.  In GTAW the electrode is not consumed therefore you can control heat and filler metal seperately and this gives you more control.

The other obvious thing would be to find a slow motion video of a tig weld and a mig weld and that explains the difference.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 5 Minute Welding Process Intro