Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3 cylinder vs. 4
- - By crahner (**) Date 05-17-2011 13:29
Are the TM20 3 cylinder engines as reliable as the old F162/163?
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-18-2011 02:45
All the new ones went back to 4 cylinder Perkins engines and there is a reason why they are just more reliable.  Any 3 cylinder engine gas or diesel must be kept in top mechanical condition and timing spot on if you want reliable fast starts cold or hot weather.  A worn out 3 cylinder starts hard or not at all, always have and always will no matter what brand it is.  They are okay when new but seen some 3 cylinder engines wouldn't even want new again they always started hard.  Just takes money to make any old engine reliable again that is usually better spent on a newer design that has way better fuel economy.
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 05-19-2011 00:41
I have a big blue 300 with a three cyl Cat that won't start without the glow plugs below 70 degrees. It only has 600 hours on it.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-20-2011 16:25
Warranty should have fixed or replaced that ?  Need to check the shut off and throttle linkage if that is off can cause hard starting too.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-23-2011 03:22
More cylinders makes for a smoother running engine. I have no direct experience with the TM20, but in general I would rather have a diesel than a gas engine.
Parent - - By crahner (**) Date 05-23-2011 12:46
Agreed.  The old  v-12's would pur right along.  I have always been partial to the water cooled gas engines in the older machines, probalbly just a bias I picked up from an old timer that took time to do a lot of teaching.  That being said I have always preferred a diesel in my trucks.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-24-2011 01:32
You have a better chance getting a worn out gas engine to run [run, but poorly] than a worn out diesel, but I feel You will usually get more GOOD life out of a diesel.

I never had the oportunity to play with a V 12, but at least in theory, they can be ballanced perfectly. Inline 4,6&8 and V8 [and others] can not.

I know that some of those 162 & 163 engines have BooKoo hours on them, if they had meeters We would know how many.
- - By Sberry (***) Date 05-22-2011 15:55
I have a 3 in a Deere dozer, starts any time even when brutally cold, no glow plugs.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-23-2011 03:23
Is that a German Deere or a Yanmar?
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-24-2011 23:17
Nothing runs like a Deere !   :grin:
- - By Sberry (***) Date 05-27-2011 15:14
No, its a John Deere, must be near 40 years old.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-28-2011 02:42
I wondered, as My cousin has a 1978 John Deere farm tractor that has a 3 cylinder engine. I don't think it is re-branded, I believe the whole tractor was made in a Deere plant in Germany.
Parent - - By Sberry (***) Date 05-28-2011 15:01
Yes, I worked on a German one recently, it ran fine but wouldn't want to own it. Has a convoluted Bosch electric system I would have been tempted to scrap, a bushel of extra junk, several relays, probably fine when new but these just don't need it.
  The dozer is all USA all super simple. Only thing that would have been better was the C model with wet steer clutches and if I was going to work the crap out of it the 450 which has bigger 4 cyl.
  On some of our tractors I finally throw it all in the dumpster, put on new Nippon 12v starters, delco alt and the 5 wires or so it really needs and done with it. World of difference, night and day, all simple stock stuff.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-28-2011 21:53
My cousin's is a 35 HP farm tractor. The only problem I know of is that there is play in the steering. There is a big nut under an inspection cover that He tightens from time to time, but I can SEE the stering colum move up and down when it is turned, so I know ther is more play that can be removed, but He isn't going to bother with it.

This one has a placed to put an either can in it for cold weather starting, I don't think they have to use it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3 cylinder vs. 4