Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Hood
- - By bIGwIRE Date 05-18-2011 04:17
Hello everyone,
   I browsed through the related searches, but no luck.

I have used a Jackson NexGen lense in the past, but it had some trouble cutting through heavy smoke, like 3/32 flux on manganese. Does anyone know if the high end Optrel has this problem? I weld alot of lower amp as well; stainless alloy and exotics like monel, as well as some stick and tig, and would like an auto that could handle it all, but my big issue is clarity through smoke. 80 percent of my welding is heavy plate, and most is UT'd and wet mag, so I really need the clarity. Is there an auto out there that matches the clarity of a passive lense? I really don't mind a high price, I just want the best.

Any suggestions on an auto that will cut through the smoke better than the NexGen would be greatly appreaciated.

-Joel-
Parent - - By HELLTACO (*) Date 05-28-2011 02:42
Dis is the hood wat i gots. I put a roch clip in it so I cud have the smoke right ther when the forman comes by I jus flip up my hood and the smoke stays rite ther were the eyeballs go.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 06-08-2011 01:22
This guy figured it out on his own.
Attachment: 2253986389_73231bce9a.jpg (0B)
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 06-08-2011 03:39
Light weight for sure. I'll bet his neck isn't sore at the end of the day.
The Eastern Indians over here at least use $1.50 sunglasses.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-07-2011 19:43
I have very good luck using the Miller elite, and lincoln hoods.  Never was a fan of the optrel.  Used nexgen but thought the miller's were lighter.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 06-08-2011 03:43
The Optrel's are designed to accept their PAPR sysytems, but clear cover lenses are expensive.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Hood