Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / hard wire with 98% argon- 2% co2
- - By BOB THIEDE Date 11-06-2002 01:19
I weld with flux-core wire with 75% argon-25% co2 on d.1-5 bridge code usually. We now have contract were we need to use hard wire with 98% argon- 2% co2. I would like to know is there much of a difference between 75% argon- 25% co2 and 98%-2% co2.
Parent - - By Mike Brace (**) Date 11-07-2002 12:59
Bob: 75/25 is a common gas for gas shielded cored wires of for solid wire in the short arc transfer. 98/2 is a common gas for Pulse and Spray transfer of solid wires. If using spray transfer it is a flat and horizontal position only application.
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 11-07-2002 17:41
Note a minor addition; the fluid weld puddle from the hotter spray arc transfer will be satisfactory vert down on thinner (<3/8 max I think) steel...
...the point is it's capability is limited but does indeed have a vert capability you may be able to exploit...

And yes, there is a lot of difference between the gasses. 5% more Ar (80/20) is significantly different. I would expect to use 98/2 where burn-through is an issue. It may also solve some problems on stainless, but thats a discussion left for others. The penetration profile is narrower and deep; finger-like when compared to higher levels of CO2 in the mix, but the arc has less energy proportional to the level of Ar.

AWS Journal had a feature spread on gasses a couple months ago; check it out.

regards,
d

BTW you might check up on the in depth information at http://www.weldreality.com
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-07-2002 19:55
I haven't dealt much with different mixtures but it was a good article in the AWS journal las month I thought.
John Wright
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 11-07-2002 23:30
In addition, pulse spray can be used satisfactorily in all positions.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By kenmui Date 11-09-2002 01:16
Please clarify ....you state that you need to use 98 /2 ArCo2 . In reality, that gas blend is NOT a common blend
Typically for a mild steel spray arc transer with "hard wire" a 90/10 ArCo2 . Some proprietary trade name gases such as
Praxair's MIG Mix Gold is a 92/8 ArCo2

What is common though is a 98Ar / 2 O2 . Although there are some benifits(arc stability and wetting) of using this gas for
typical ER70S-3 ( 6... etc ) , the main purpose and use of this gas is for low alloy MIG wires such as the
ER80S-Ni1 , ER80S-D2 , ER90S-G ,ER100S-G etc.

The reason for this is as follows. A product which meets ER80S-D2 with a 90/10 ArCo2 will easily also meet ER90S-D2
with a 98Ar / 2 O2. There is obviously a significant increase in mechnaical properties(TS and YS ). Also very noticiable is that
with the addition of O2 , the Charpy VN ( impact properties ) , expecially with the low alloy Ni wires

Bottom line, if you are using a ER70S-6 ( -3 etc ) a 90/10 ArCo2 works very well for spray type transfer. Unless you
have a specialized ( automated for example ) application.

If your specs call for a 98 /2 make sure they are not refering to a Ar O2 blend. A 98 /2 ArCo2 is simply
not a popular mix . I checked the the cross ref chart and Praxair, Air Products
Air Liquide , AGA , MG and BOC all offer a 98Ar / 2 O2 , but only AGA has a standard 98 /2 ArCo2

I would guess the specs mean 98 Ar / 2 O2 if the electrode spec is ER80S or higher

Parent - - By mcwelding (**) Date 11-16-2002 18:28
hey,
you cant get true spray arc with 75 % argon
rich
Parent - By dee (***) Date 11-16-2002 22:02
I believe the technically correct statement is "you cannot get practical spray" with that mix... I am not sure that is accurate for larger diameter wires at high parameters however.

In practical terms the statement is probably correct

Regards,
d
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / hard wire with 98% argon- 2% co2