Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / PED Certification
- - By raptor34 (**) Date 05-25-2011 14:05
Do any of you know anything about PED?  I have a customer that has some vessels that need to be inspected by a PED certified company and have no idea how or were to look to get PED certified.  Any help is appreciated.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-25-2011 14:08 Edited 05-25-2011 14:13
After a quick internet search...I'm thinking it is a European certification.

Search results-->>>PED
Parent - - By kilgoretrout (*) Date 05-25-2011 17:09
Unless you have quite a bit of work, getting PED certified yourself is cost prohibitive.  There are quite a few companies here in the States that are certified.  It seems to me we used IRIS but this was several years ago.  If you contact your A.I. he can probably hook you up.
Parent - - By raptor34 (**) Date 05-25-2011 18:15
Our customer has about 5-10 vessels a month that go to the PED, they are bringing a company from Tulsa to do the x-ray and another from Kansas City for their swearwave.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-26-2011 01:14
raptor34,
PED is the Pressure Equipment Directive and it can be an absolute minefield.
PM me and I can send you the Directive and all associated documents.
If nantong or 3.2 visit the forum they may be able to assist more - they both have a much better understanding of it's requirements,
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By Len Andersen (***) Date 05-26-2011 17:52
Ladies and Gentlemen,
     I have a degree in chemistry and chemical engineering, worked in Oklahoma, in the petroleum industry and am aware of ISO ( International Standards Organization ) etc requirements. There is a European based "forum" I participate in

http://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?admin=&forenID=2&msgID=22750&rootID=22736#22750

mentions PED and related in an NDT context! All so they have many papers with such that are searchable on the site. If it was, my job is at stake I would be making calls looking for the book / code that is applicable. The Canadians seem to have focus on it.  I hope this helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen
        212-839-6599, 4042 FAX / 914-237-7689 (H) / 914-536-7101 (Mobil)
            800-428-4801            
POB 1529 / NYC 10116 ( $1090 per year Caller Box GPO NYC )
Parent - By nantong (**) Date 05-29-2011 07:54
Have a look at ASME document:

GUIDE FOR ASME STAMP HOLDERS

Use of ASME Section VIII, Division 1 to Meet the
EC Pressure Equipment Directive (97/23/EC)

FOREWORD
This Guide is a comprehensive review of the Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) and
ASME Section VIII, Division 1.
ASME has received requests from all over the world to provide guidance to manufacturers
who have been or will be impacted by the European PED. This document provides that
guidance.
Manufacturers of Section VI11 pressure vessels will find this document to be a useful
tool when working with a notified body toward compliance with the PED and applying
the CE mark to their products.
This document begins with an explanation of the European New Approach, and continues
with the goals of the PED and a description of its scope of coverage. Then, the document
offers an in-depth analysis of the PED concept of hazard categories and the various
combinations of conformity assessment modules that can be used for each hazard category.
Each of the PED Essential Safety Requirements are then covered, including materials, use
of Notified Bodies, and requirements for CE marking.
The reader is next presented with a detailed comparison of the PED with Section VIII,
Division 1, followed by a modified version of Annex Z for Section VIII, Division 1. This
Annex Z provides instructions regarding what additional tasks must be completed to meet
the administrative requirements of the PED.
As an added bonus, a list of interpretations developed in France is provided, with
information on how to obtain copies of each.

Should help you a lot.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / PED Certification