Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PWHT WPS/PQR
- - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-27-2011 00:33
Hi guys,
Need some urgent help please.
Manufacturer has supplied 14" Sch 10 pipe in accordance with API 5L Grade B PSL 2 and B36.10.
Client has stated (after pipe has been supplied as welded) that all welds require PWHT due to service (Amine).
We now need a PQR/WPS with PWHT for the longitudinal seam weld - the manufacturer has supplied a PQR for SA516 Gr 60.
Is this PQR applicable / acceptable for the supplied pipe ?
Any help greatly appreciated,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-27-2011 02:28
what code
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-27-2011 02:42
Sorry,
B31.3
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 05-27-2011 04:11
You might have a problem here Shane. Both materials would be P1 under Section IX, but unfortunately I don't have IX at at hand, so I can't give you a definite answer as to whether the API grade appears under 4.34 of Section IX. I'm thinking it does, but you'll have to check. If it doesn't I don't see any alternative to running a new PQR. One of the hazards of working with specs that name alternative code bodies.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-27-2011 11:49 Edited 05-27-2011 11:51
I'm not sure I fully understand but the way I see it you don't need a PQR/WPS at all. You are talking about a PWHT of pipe as manufactured per client specification. You have not performed any welding to require a PQR. What you need is a heat treat procedure per the customer specification. If the specification does not require PWHT but the client does all you need to do is write a procedure in compliance with your customers specifications.
Being amine service you will probably want to perform some hardness testing to verify you have done what they are looking for. In fact, if they don't have a hardness requirement I'd be surprised.
Keep in mind, the requirement for PQR/WPS generation will come form a specification or code of construction. The way I understand it here there is none. There is none in the material spec (I assume) and you haven't done any B31.3 work yet.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-27-2011 12:18
Hi Jeff,
The pipe was manufactured as per purchase order (as welded) and it was rolled plate with a longitudinal seam in accordance with API 5L Grade B.
Someone on the clients team must have read about the stress corrosion problems associated with Amine service and carbon steel pipes and the need to PWHT.
So, the client decided all C/S piping must be subject to PWHT (2 years after initial order and supply).
We now have a huge amount of 450 NB Sch 10 (6.35 mm) on site that does not have PWHT. They are going to weld and PWHT circ welds on site using one of the site contractors WPSs but there is nothing to cover the manufacturers welds.
That was where my original question came from - would a PQR using 25 mm plate (SA 516 Gr 60) and GMAW/SAW be even remotely applicable to our situation.
Both P1 Gr 1 and thickness is no problem so code compliant (ASME IX) but something does not feel right - just cannot put my finger on it.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-27-2011 16:03
It sounds like you need an ECO, and send all of that pipe to a heat treat outfit so they can cook all of it in an oven.  extra cost billed to the customer of course.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-27-2011 16:21
Shane,
IMO
To you its not a PWHT. You didn't do the welds.
To you its a heat treat of a base metal the same as if you decided to normalize a plate that has been hot rolled.
Therefore, its not an ASME Section IX issue. Its a customer specification issue.
However, by agreement between you and the customer you need to establish a testing verification regime and acceptance criteria. And you need to protect your companies interest with disclaimers.
I don't think there is anything ethically wrong. Its just engineering. But there is no Code compliance or non compliance for that matter involved.
Its an engineering judgment call, IMO.
Somebody may be able to help us out here, there may even be an API standard that accomodates this type of engineering application.
The only way to make this cleaner is if the pipe manufacturer performed the heat treat in compliance with WPS they have, or if they subcontracted you to do the PWHT and then you did it within their system and procedures.
I jus think that technically speaking once you go from one contractor to another its no longer a WPS PWHT issue. You can't verify their welding and so have no WPS.
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 05-27-2011 20:08 Edited 05-27-2011 20:13
Looks to me be an expensive proposition any way you slice it - either stress relieving all that pipe, with the problems that ensue from that, or applying some kind of internal epoxy coating. Either solution being payed for by the customer. My money is on the epoxy being cheaper. Either way, from what you've said, it's the customer who mispecified and should pay the freight. If, as you say, its a P1 to P1 weld backed by a good WPS/PQR and the construction code doesn't require PWHT, it's not a quality compliance issue - your company fulfilled its contractual obligation, assuming the customer had responsibility for the metallurgical engineering. BTW, buyer's remorse is becoming very common in the oil patch since Mocondo.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PWHT WPS/PQR