Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Job pics from last two weeks
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-27-2011 13:55 Edited 05-27-2011 15:00
Been busy lately, it's been very nice! Here's some pics from 3 different jobs I've been working.

First three pics are a cofferdam I was working for a guy, burned a bunch of rod on that job. Actually melted down a male/female quick disconnect cause I was running rod back to back. I'd be nearing the end of the rod, reach up and pull a fresh one out of the rod holder and get ready. Got to the end, shoot the stub in the bucket and reload then whammo, back at it. Think I used up 70lbs of rod on this job, it was GREAT!!

Fourth picture is a John Deere 850, that's a big hog right there. Doing some trench box work. They had to stack three boxes to make it 35' tall. Seems that is the only picture I have of this one. Nothing real exciting about it.

The last three pictures are on a job about 2 hours from home. Spent the week as a road warrior running chill and hot water pipe. Got the hot water tied in Tuesday and then the plumbers ran around checking for leaks and replacing leaking ball valves(made in China). Spent most of the week with the rig under the large oak tree working off my jacks. Then Thursday it rained so ended up in the mechanical room welding flanges so we could hang the valves. Unfortunately we ran out of flange gaskets(I don't order or have any involvement in ordering, just weld and fit) so this is as far as we could go. Going back out Wednesday to finish up and tie it all in. Good thing is it will be nice next week so I can be back out under my supersized hoosier pole! Fitting and welding makes your brain work a bit harder but I like the challenge of the fitting, working out the length's, cuts and so on and especially when it all comes together how you planned it. Get this job done and I think these folks have got another job lined up running 6 or 8 inch pipe but not to sure yet, hope so I enjoy the crap out of this stuff!!

Oh, and all the piping is run how it is because, (A) they wanted all of the valves down low where they could get to them, (B) There is a door above the pipe off the supply and return where there is an electric drive motor and they have to be able to open the door ALL of the way in case they have to replace the motor and (C) Under the flanges is another door where they have the filters, which they have to be able to pull out and change. All this other stuff you have to dodge to get a job done that they don't have on the print.
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 05-28-2011 05:50
Pretty nice work Shawn. I just got off a 3 day job, 3 1/2 hrs. from home, doing 8" sch 40 tie-in for a irrigation pivot. I showed up and the company sales rep. said here is what we got and I ask him when the crew would be back to set it in place?  He looked at me and said you are the crew, I will get a tele-handler here for you to set it. Oh and by the way let's go to the other end and I will show you what our welder all ready did. Went down there and a simple out and down on a 45 looked like a horseshoe, he rolled his 45's( or 52's if you want to be exact). He said the owner of the pivot kicked him off the job, so if I could fix it that would be great. I told him the cheapest way for them would be to get a new piece of pipe and some flanges, but he said just cut the one there apart and reweld it. Also we need to replace the center pivot section while you are at it, here's my number call if you need anything.... I will upload some pics if I can figure out how.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 05-28-2011 22:50
Nice work Shawn. Is that your new bed? I must have missed it if you told us you finished it.
Brian, I'd like to see that mess you fixed if you can get some pictures. Sounds interesting.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-29-2011 23:59
No, not new truck bed. Have not touched it in two months. Been to busy with that work stuff. Thought about getting after it today but doing the family thing today. Might give it a go tomorrow and tuesday but gotta get my jacks back for a job on wednesday.
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 05-31-2011 07:35
Well here ya go (maybe!!!)
Attachment: Welding033.JPG (616k)
Attachment: Welding0322.JPG (592k)
Attachment: Welding0352.JPG (583k)
Attachment: Welding0262.JPG - Well End (616k)
Attachment: Welding0202.JPG - Well end (665k)
Attachment: Welding0512.JPG - Center pivot end all done (722k)
Attachment: Welding0362.JPG - all ready welded piece (628k)
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-31-2011 11:57
Cool pics Brian!
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 05-31-2011 13:23
That's the first branch I have seen in the field... I thought everybody used T's now days.. Cool pictures..!!

RC
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 05-31-2011 17:30 Edited 05-31-2011 17:34
Thanks,  it was all built on stands. I got a call this morning and the company guy wanted to know where I got the stands, cause their welder would like to get some, and I told him they were special order (why give away your tools right!). I found out that he tries to hang everything of a boom and build it in the hole, but I guess if your in to doing pipe you would know where to get them. LOL. Does anyone know are the Lee layout patterns any count, I was thinking about getting some but didn't know if they are any good or they would just goto hell after a little usage? I can get a set from 2" to 10" for $30.00 or so.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-02-2011 12:22
I got a set of them, used them on a railing job of all things!! Have not used them much on pipe as most of the work I do they typically supply 90's, 45's, "T" and so on.
Parent - - By sae350 (*) Date 05-31-2011 20:37
I hope you didnt make some of those welds, cause they look like sh!t. Especially the one's on the valve flanges. They look like solid core mig. Or bird crap. I cant decide:wink:
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 05-31-2011 20:46
I have to agree some of those welds do look like bird crap and yes I did do those and they got fixed before the job was done. But, I do appreciate honesty. Yes they were solid core mig with a lot of wind that day, so I went back the next day and fixed them.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 05-31-2011 22:13
I'm glad I am not the first one to note that the welds were very substandard, even for Farm Code!
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 05-31-2011 22:21
These welds are the kind of stuff that was already done. They were done with 6013. I do have some not so good looking welds on some flanges but they were fixed.
Attachment: Welding0372.JPG (656k)
Attachment: Welding0292.JPG (631k)
Attachment: Welding0352.JPG (583k)
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 05-31-2011 22:33
What do ya thinks of these welds, Good or Bad ?
Attachment: Welding0222.JPG (641k)
Attachment: Welding0052.JPG (624k)
Attachment: Welding0412.JPG (598k)
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 06-02-2011 13:33
Want the truth? It may hurt!
Parent - By hojopens3 (**) Date 06-01-2011 00:29
who would use a 6013 for downhand on pipe, save yourself some headache and just run some 5p+ and be done with it....just saying
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 06-01-2011 03:37
Nice pictures Brian. Looks like a fun project. I was going to ask you where you are but I see you're in Washington state. Looks kinda like Nebraska where I am, except for those mountains in the background.:grin: Thanks for sharing!
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 06-01-2011 01:40
They were definitely a FAIL.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Job pics from last two weeks