Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / boiler mud drum crack
- - By alkhiat (*) Date 05-28-2011 11:26
During a revamping old water tube boiler ( D TUBE SHAPE ) we found many cracks on mud drum especially around tube holes we carried PT and MT but every time there is still more cracks
I asked about NDT technique that is the most effective way to detect Cracks in boier drum that is 30 mm thick.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-31-2011 14:11
My vote would be for MT using wet fluorescent particles if the material is ferromagnetic.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-31-2011 18:58
I suggest that you measure in some way (Ultrasound, for example) the deepness of the cracks to see if they have surpassed the boiler mud drum corrosion allowance (i.e., the extra wall thickness calculated to cater for corrosion) and penetrated the wall sound thickness, i.e., the one calculated to withstand pressure.
If this is the case, you should get in contact with the boiler manufacturer or a boiler consultant and ask for specialized advice.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By raptor34 (**) Date 06-01-2011 12:29
I am going to second Al and Giovanni.  Use the WFMT and UTSW together to help you find were the cracks stop.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 06-01-2011 16:00 Edited 06-01-2011 17:35
use AC current to find surface cracks
if the surface to be inspected is rough i would use dry powder.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-01-2011 17:07
Sounds to me like detection is not your problem.
Fixing them will be.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-01-2011 18:27
js55

I agree.  The first crack should be subjected to forensic failure analysis before chasing down the rest of the cracks.  If there is a chemistry induced metallurgical problem, the mud legs will probably need to be replaced.  Further crack detection will be unnecessary if failure analysis indicates a systemic metallurgical problem induced by welding practices, or an improper base metal substitution.
Parent - By maxilimiano (**) Date 06-05-2011 23:54
I agree with JS55...because your boiler is very old..metallurgical analyzing should be taken.

Best Regard
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / boiler mud drum crack