Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Electron beam weld porosity in 6061
- - By bmdegrow Date 11-07-2002 23:41
Welding 6061-T6 with 4047 filler material .250 deep. Failing xray inspection due to root porosity. Porosity entire length of weld. Verified oxidation layers completly removed. Anyone else run into this problem? Potential solutions? We are welding IAW AMS-2680.
Parent - - By tiweld Date 11-09-2002 00:33
You did not say what the joint geometry is but I suspect that it is a patrtial penitration as opposed to a full pen weld and that may be where your problem is.
A couple of questions...
Is this a new job or has it been welded sucsessfully before?
How do you "verify" oxide layer removal?
Is the tooling clean?( I mean really clean)
What kind of back up behind the weld ?
How long is the time before actual welding from cleaning of the weld surface?
Is the filler wire as clean as the base material?
Is the x ray rejection of the part or is it in the preproduction sample?
If you are welding IAW 2680 are you cross sectioning the samples or xraying them prior to production weld?
Elongated or shereical pores? What dia or size of the pores?
While I am at it Why add wire?
Was this part always EB welded or is it an attempt to use a GTAW joint configuration ?

Sorry for all the questions but each of these can infuance the quality of the weld. Final sugestion, the weld geometry is key to avoid root pores in EBW . Can you tell me what the aspect ratio is ( depth to width).
Parent - - By bmdegrow Date 11-12-2002 00:10
It is a butt joint design with parent material forming a lap joint at the base to act as a stop/backup (full pen into stop). This is a new job. Both parent material and filler material were analysied for presence of oxide. Both came back negative. The entire weld machine along with tooling are in a clean room (not sure what category). As stated before the "back up" is part of the joint design. Not sure how long the parts sat before weld, our requirement is 4 hours max. .020 filler shim stock is used and placed in the joint prior to weld. The xrays are of preproduction parts. Production is the next go around. Yes, there has been some cross sections made, but no xray of the samples. That was probably our biggest mistake, due to the chance of not taking a xsection on a void. I can email pictures of the pores if that will help. Size of the pores were not measured yet, mainly because they are so close together that they count as one. The shape is typically a teardrop shape were the narrow end is pointing up twards the outside surface and max dim is appx .050 inch. Wire is added due to the low silicone content in the 6061, cracking would occur otherwise. The joint was designed to be EB welded from the beginning. The joint is .250 deep and .020 wide (filler material thickness) for an aspect ratio of 12.5. This is my first time using the forum and was not sure what to expect. Thank you for your responce and good questions. Hope that the above helps you understand our problem better (feedback is only as good as the information provided). Also can email a picture of the joint design, send me an email at bmdegrow@raytheon.com so I may reply with pictures.

Regards
Brad DeGrow
Parent - - By Ratinfested Date 12-04-2002 05:23
Can you use a different filler material?? .020" should be thick enough. I am an EB welder and i know what your situaltion is. Are new to EB welding? Just wondering if its the material your useing or the machines beam deflection, focus ect.
Parent - - By bmdegrow Date 12-04-2002 20:21
We have performed a DOE on the joint and have successfully produced parts with small amounts of porosity. Still need to verify with xray that the specification is met. With multiple good responses, this forum has worked better than expected.

Regards,
Brad
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-05-2002 14:02
Hey Brad,
Alot of these guys can help even simple minded me sometimes. Hard to get things to sink into a thick skull like mine, you see.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Electron beam weld porosity in 6061