Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Trip....fall....OUCH!! What the.....
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-06-2011 22:43
Did it again! Went to the supply house to pay on my account and thought, "I'll look at the Mathey bevelers since I might need one on an upcoming job". Look at the fancy electric one and right under it is a 3-8" beveler, manually operated that surely is not new. I ask the fella's at the counter, "nope, don't know nothing about it". Then we found a guy that knew the guy that was selling it. Sat there and thought about it for a few moments, went and got the check book and wrote it out. Walked out of there with a beveler for $450!! We priced a new one and both about wet ourselves. Then off to the torch repair joint, didn't have anything worth buying...not like the beveler, so don't have a torch yet but could not walk away from this deal! Now hopefully I can put it to work in the next couple months on this next gig I've got. Now if I could just fall onto some Tidwelds.....hahaha!!!
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 06-06-2011 22:51
Get a piece of pipe, set it up, and make sure it cuts square before the ink dries on that check Shawn. Man it sucks when they're tweaked!!! Just a thought.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-06-2011 23:01
Thanks, I'll do that. Got the guys number. He was gonna come out and put a torch in it and cut a piece for me but I had someplace I needed to be and he was on a job but figured if he offered then he must be on the level about it.
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 06-06-2011 23:50
You got the dogs too right?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-07-2011 00:10 Edited 06-07-2011 00:17
Hey Shawn, looks pretty much like one that I picked up for our welding program a while back. One of the other posters mentioned "dogs", I don't see them on your unit. In case you're wondering what he's referring to, they are the spacers that attach to the four blank holes on your main frame and set the appropriate center distance to orient the cutter to a specific diameter pipe once you clamp it on. I'll try to include a couple of pictures to show what they are in case my description isn't very understandable. Nice buy though, even if it didn't come with the spacers. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-07-2011 00:50
He didn't have them at the lws, guy I bought it from said he was worried they would get lost in the shuffle. He dropped them off this afternoon and I'll pick them up tomorrow. Said he's got the 4" and 6" dogs so I'll just have to pick up the 8" at one point.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-07-2011 01:51
that's awesome Shawn, definitely a good find there. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 06-07-2011 02:31
Looks like a nice score.  We have 3 of those and use them constantly.  We have to change the gears, chain, and the "boomer springs" from time to time.  Been a while since I bought one but I think they were around $1,000 for an 8".
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-07-2011 10:33
The LWS said retail was $1700 but then there is "my price", you guys know how it is when you deal with a place forever. Seems like he said somewhere around $1100 or something for new.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Trip....fall....OUCH!! What the.....