Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / -N- Stamp
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 06-08-2011 20:43
Any1 work under and N stamp program...NQA-1?
If you do , tell me for Materials testing and Suppliers of unqualified materials what is the Audit / Survey fequency?
I think and acredited facility can be added to a vendor list initialy but must be audited within 3 years, and trianually ther after.
Now if a plant uses unqualified source and tests the materials themselves would the unqualified mill need to Audited every year?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-09-2011 12:27
Unqualified in this sense is Unqualified Source Materials. Its the source, the supplier, that is unqualified. Not the material per se. And then by definition being an unqualified source you have not audited them and therefore there is no frequency. If you audit them and they are successful then it is not an unqualified source and the frequency is then 3 years, though you have to evaluate annually. And this is why you have to jump through hoops to get compliant material. NCA-3855.5.
A supplier of materials that has a QSC does not need to be audited to comply with ASME III. However, you will not get away with this when audited by people utilizing NQA-1 and Appendix B as criteria. You will need to audit everyone. Even A2LA labs.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 06-09-2011 21:30
what Im thinking is that an A2LA Accredited facility for calibration needs no onsite survey as long as the calibration is under the scope..correct?
same for materials testing?

Now a mill not holding a section III cert can sell material as long as the purchaser performs all required testing to be incompliance with Section III.
now NQA-1 requires Audits of suppliers so a mill not  holding a certificate will be surveyed onsite  and placed on the vendor list but  the purchaser takes  responsibility for testing under ASME III .
My concern is do those suppliers need annual audits and  regardless of Certificates does every one need to have an on site survey/audit at least every three years?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-10-2011 12:05
'what Im thinking is that an A2LA Accredited facility for calibration needs no onsite survey as long as the calibration is under the scope..correct?'
For ASME (NCA-3126). Not for NQA-1 or Appendix B.

'Now a mill not holding a section III cert can sell material as long as the purchaser performs all required testing to be incompliance with Section III.'
This is Unqualified Source Material and its a pain.

'now NQA-1 requires Audits of suppliers so a mill not  holding a certificate will be surveyed onsite  and placed on the vendor list but  the purchaser takes  responsibility for testing under ASME III .'
You have a risk going with a supplier that doesn't have a 3800 program. They may not pass and will be reluctant to say the least to spend money to comply. Also, you take responsibility for the materials in any case.

'My concern is do those suppliers need annual audits and  regardless of Certificates does every one need to have an on site survey/audit at least every three years?'
Audits every 3 years, evaluations every year.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 06-10-2011 15:29 Edited 06-10-2011 15:36
A survey must be on site correct, but Audits and evaluations can be done by review of objective evidence.
the  3rd year audit would not require one to go to  the facility.

see definitions NCA - 9000

i guess im concerned with how many times one would need to actualy go to a suppliers facility.
After the survey at the plant will Audits and evaluations be suitable to maintain them on the vendors list.
Would i need to go out to the plant evey 3 years?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / -N- Stamp