Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / elevator shaft/mechanical repairs ADVICE?
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-08-2011 23:37
Sorry for this lack of info but I am going to make a bid on an "elevator repair" tomorrow....it apparently from what I can gather is a very old system and needs undoing of some improper repairs.   

I know there are a lot of building codes etc. that apply to this kind of work.....what I am asking is are there any big suprises as far as codes-mechanical stuff that I need to get familiar with before submitting a bid on the work.   If this involves the actual mechanical of the elevator I will just walk away...as long as it is just framework and non structural stuff like it sounds like I am not worried with it.

ANY ADVICe appreciated
TOmmy
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-09-2011 00:02
In NYC, you need a special license.  It usually also requires an Electricians License.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-09-2011 01:54
As Joe said, they regulate elevators pretty heavily, so check the local laws.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-09-2011 12:35
Please let us know what elevators you plan to work on?  :smile:
I need the exercise anyway.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-09-2011 13:17
Tommy, Here in this state you have to be certified to work on elevators and recertify about every two years that’s what I was told. 

M.G
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-09-2011 15:15
It doesn't sound like you've been given much info. I'd be inclined to walk away for that reason.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-09-2011 22:42
Well I got to go look at it, it will all be overseen by a licensed elevator company and mechanic on site.  Basically they have a wood platform (service platform) and wood door up in the wheelhouse that must be replaced by a metal structure and door.  The cool part is the elevator is being fitted with a secondary cable brake, they need someone to fabricate a mounting system for this.   Does not look too dodgy, just time consuming and difficult.  The mech had codes on hand for everything applying to the repair and we discussed them at length.  Not too worried about it since it is not just a bunch of yahoos ...they are just bringing an old system up to modern compliance.  BUT it will get laid out on paper and signed before it gets touched by me anyhow.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / elevator shaft/mechanical repairs ADVICE?