Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME training
- - By Kix (****) Date 06-09-2011 15:38
I was wondering what I need to look for to see about some ASME training where they go into sec IX, sec VIII, B31.1 and B31.3.  I'm not talking about a refresher seminar for the CWI exam, I'm talking strictly ASME.  I checked the journal and it looks like there seminar might be for like a sec IX basic run through getting you ready for a CWI exam, but I'm not sure.  Let me know if you guys have heard of anything like this.

Thanks,
Kix
Parent - - By petty4345 (**) Date 06-09-2011 15:52
Walt Sperko (sperko Engineering) for ASME Section IX.
Excellent class.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-14-2011 12:14
Does Sperko Engineering offer the class and can that info can be found on there website?
Parent - By petty4345 (**) Date 06-14-2011 15:00
His web site sends you to :   http://www.asme.org/shop for seminar locations, prices and dates.
Parent - By petty4345 (**) Date 06-14-2011 15:44
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-09-2011 17:28
Go to the ASME site and search short courses. They have them all of the time for everything.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 06-09-2011 18:25
Kix, how in depth do you wish to learn?

There is the "A" course (2 weeks) in Columbus, Ohio.  The purpose of the course is to acquaint the attendee with the requirements of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Sections I, IV, V, VIII (Div. 1 and 2), IX, X, and B31.1.

This "A" course is designed for individuals who hold a National Board commission and intend to perform shop inspection of objects to be constructed to the ASME Code. It is not necessary, however, to hold a commission in order to attend this course.

In order to be issued an "A" endorsement to the National Board commission, the National Board's Rules for Commissioned Inspectors require the authorized inspector to attend the National Board's "A" endorsement course. An examination for the endorsement is administered at the conclusion of this two-week course. The authorized inspector must also receive 80 hours of on-the-job training in ASME shop, fabrication, and inspection.

You can also to www.nationalboard.com for study materials and other resources.

Hope this helps,
QCRobert
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-09-2011 22:29
Kix,
  Here is the link.

http://www.nationalboard.org/default.aspx

jrw159
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-10-2011 11:41
The national board courses do not cover the material the same or as comprehensively as the ASME courses. You will also get NBIC for obvious reasons with the NB course if you are looking ASME exclusively.
Don't get me wrong, I've heard good things about the NB course but keep in mind that these courses are intended to teach you how to be AI's.
Also, if you take the ASME's you often end up gettin guys who actually sit on those committees like Walt for Section IX or Phil Flenner for the pressure piping courses.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-14-2011 12:12
Thanks guys for all the great replies!  I'm not looking to be an AI, but I do want to know Sec IX and pressure piping really well.

Thanks again,
Ray C.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-15-2011 02:56
Sperko is as good as it gets for ASME IX training, after all he is the Chairman of IX :)

Hartford Steam Boiler used to offer a home study course for ASME IX, I took it back in 1984 and it was very good for me.  Might check their website to see if its still offered.  It was proctored by one of their ANI Supervisors.  Good stuff.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-15-2011 11:52
Walt is usually one of the primary architects of interpretion language as well.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 06-21-2011 17:28
I highly recommend you purchasing the Practical Guide Book Series Volume 2, ASME Section IX Welder Qualifications -by Michael J. Houle (Casti Publishing Inc).

Just Google Casti Publishing for ordering information.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-27-2011 21:13
I'll check it out.

Ray C.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME training