Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / NAVSEA Tech-Pub training
- - By Kix (****) Date 06-09-2011 15:44
Does anyone know if any of the shipyards or if SUP-SHIP puts on any kind of seminar or training for working to NAVSEA Tech-Pubs?  I would be really interested in sitting in on something like this.

Thanks,
Kix
Parent - - By petty4345 (**) Date 06-11-2011 12:49
I know that Electric Boat and Newport News both periodically have training seminars for welding and NDE, and if you are under contract with them they will notify and invite you when they are going to have one.
I don't know about other ship yards, the best thing to do is to contact your customers buyer and ask.
If you can go to one of these, I would certainly go.
I went, and gald I did. Have developed some good working relationships from attending.

Also, there are alot of things (documentation wise and workmanship) that they want done a certain way. You can also get to understand "their" interpretation of things that you may see a different way in the Tech Pubs. (what you think is black, is really white)
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-14-2011 12:07
Excellent!! Yeah, we build for both EB, NN, Bath Iron and Ingals.  I totally understand the whole black and white thing with them. lol  Thanks for the tip. I never hear anything being as low down on the totem pole as I am, but I will put a bug in a few ears.  Sales and Engineering call on me to aswer all these questions and I have to tell them that I need more training or experience in the tech pub before I can answer their questions with confidence.  Don't get me wrong for I know enough to get by and I think that's what is making them call on me more and more. In saying that, I better get some good formal training for the color blindness. lol

Ray C.
Parent - - By petty4345 (**) Date 06-14-2011 15:10
I should have mentioned that if you do not have contracts directly from one of the shipyards, (if you are sub tier, sub contactor) that you may not get the invitation. They (shipyard) may not even know that you are doing the work. In that case, you could go through the company that you are under contract with, and they may be able to get you on the list.
I can provide you with a contact to get things going, or have someone contact you if you need. Just let me know.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-20-2011 10:46
Hello Kix;

Any company that is welding in accordance with NAVSEA TP248, TP278, 1688, or 1689 are required to provide training for the welders (and inspectors) as part of the certification process.

There are four elements to welder qualification per NAVSEA TP248; workmanship training, written examination covering all fabrication standards, i.e., NAVSEA TP278, MIL-STD-2035, and MIL-STD-22, a visual acuity examination, and finally the hands-on demonstration of welding skills. The program has to be approved by the Level III (Examiner) that is qualified in accordance with NAVSEA TP271. The training program is required to be documented and approved by your customer as meeting the requirements of the specific shipyard that will be receiving your work. In other words, while you may be welding on components that are not shipped directly to the shipyard, you are suppose to submit the written training program to your customer who is required to pass it up the line for the necessary approvals.

I provide training for several clients and act as their Examiner (Level III). The training is involved because the welders working to TP278 are qualified to perform in-process inspections of each other's work. The welders are "essentially" qualified as inspectors with the QC inspector performing surveillance inspections and final inspections in accordance with the employer's written procedures.

Your company is required to have written procedures for just about anything done in-house. That includes welding and inspection as well as other controlled processes. Many of the procedures require the involvement of an Examiner (Level III) to develop and approve the procedures before they are submitted for review and approval by the customer.

While some of the shipyards provide limited training to their prime contractors, it rarely extends to subtier contractors. Subtier contractors are left to their own devices to obtain the necessary training and expertise.

The training and the written examinations for the welders is required every three years. The Examiner is supposed to perform an audit of the program every two years. Speaking of which, I have to call one of my clients to schedule their audit in the next few weeks.

Contact me if you have any questions. I will try to steer you in the right direction.

Best regards – Al
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / NAVSEA Tech-Pub training