Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 9 Months Into My Journey
- - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-13-2011 21:12 Edited 06-13-2011 21:25
As a trainee in the discipline of dye penetrant inspection.  I have a greater understanding and appreciation for the ASNT time requirements to be eligible for level 1 and level 2.  There is a lot to learn.  I started this chapter of my professional life back in September with a week-long class with my supervising level 3, and I never guessed how much more I could learn.  After all, it's easy, right?  Just spray a lil of dis and a lil of dat and interpret til you're blue in the face!  Some pics of my findings attached.  Enjoy.  PS - I'll also be getting better at taking pictures of this stuff!
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 06-13-2011 21:37
I know what you mean about learning about dye penetrant. I recently got my level II for our in house program for dye penetrant, solovent removeable and visible penetrant only. I was thinking to myself sitting in our training program this is the same stuff every engine machine in the country uses. How hard could it be? The learning curve was fast.
Parent - - By L51174 (**) Date 06-15-2011 14:15
Just an observation from the peanut gallery LOL, you are making alot more work for yourself by using flourescent dye in that application, plus the developer looks a little heavy in that last pic. Just sayin....
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-15-2011 16:37
1. I need to gain proficiency with flourescent as much as possible, as I am working mostly with aerospace where type II is not permissible.

2. That's paint, and you can see where the customer stripped it away from the welds, seemingly with some sort of power tool.
Parent - - By L51174 (**) Date 06-16-2011 10:26 Edited 06-16-2011 10:29
Aaahhh, I see, nothing wrong with practicing. However, and please forgive me, I was looking at the weld in the last pic, and still the developer is a little thick. Assuming you are using a non-aqueous wet, you dont need a "coating" but more of a "dusting" plus cleaning a weld, especially aluminum, with a power tool will mask indications. Did you chemically etch the weld prior to PT or is it just that you are using these pieces for practice?
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-16-2011 16:33
That last one was delivered like that.  I used a stainless wire brush and a solvent wipe just to make sure no crud was on the material.  Yes, I do realize that I need very little developer.  I'm learning.  :smile:
Parent - By ALEX Krist Date 06-17-2011 21:44
When any type of mechanical removal of paint or material is done with softer metals, you should properly etch to remove any smeared material, usually 0.0004"-0.0006".
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 9 Months Into My Journey