Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 6GR PQR with CVNs
- - By Josh Thomas Date 06-16-2011 15:01
My customer requires most of our welding procedures to meet CVNs @-50 F.

I have done several PQRs for ASME procedures and things have turned out fine, but to qualify for T, Y, and K connections per D1.1 has proven challenging.

What I'm trying to do is qualify a procedure for unlimited thickness, with CVNs down to -50F with a minimum average of 25 ft. lbs. and individual min. of 20 ft lbs.  I want to use both group I and II materials.  I basically want the most bang for the buck.

My problem is finding materials that are in tables 3.1 and 4.9 AND do well in charpys at -50 F.  I would love to use ASTM A333 pipe, but this is not on the list and it would only qualify me for that material.  I've tried API 5L x52, but NO ONE has the pipe to order.  I've tried over 30 vendors.

Any suggestions???

Thank you in advance for any guidance.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-16-2011 15:18
If the customer is asking for -50's for TYK quals just exactly what material are they planning on using in construction that you have to qualify such a regime for?
It seems a stupid engineering requirement to impose something on fab that has no basis in reality.
I mean, if there aren't any materials that can do it qualification there aren't any materials that will give it to them in construction.
The only thing I could think of is perhaps rolling an A516. But why?
Parent - - By Josh Thomas Date 06-16-2011 16:47
js55,
Thank you for the speedy clarification.  The tyk is actually our thought b/c it maximizes our procedure.  While it is unrealistic in fab, the thrust again would be to maximize this procedure.  The lab I work with actually had someone years back roll 516 plate for the same qualification.

It might be obvious, but I'm still fairly new at qualifying procedures.  Any tips are GREATLY appreciated!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-16-2011 16:53
Well, once you get way from the tyk's you can use A516. And normalized it will do very well at -50.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 6GR PQR with CVNs