Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / prequalified pjp vs qualified through testing
- - By 625552 (*) Date 06-17-2011 14:36
I haven't been a CWI for very long and I would like to get some input on a question that my employer has asked me before I respond. I have made a determination in my mind but given my lack of experience I'd like to try to get that "warm fuzzy" from you guys before I respond.

Here's the situation: We are working under D1.1 and produce groove welds all day every day using the FCAW-g process. Most of these welds are cjp, but in some instances it is acceptable per design to provide pjp on material from 1/4" to 1" in thickness but we have never used pjp groove welds on material less than 1/2" thick even in instances where it is acceptable. On material less than 1/2" thick we make them cjp welds regardless. We always weld our pjp groove welds from both sides for cosmetic purposes which is part of the reason for selecting joint B-P7-GF in our pjp's. Using this joint the minimum thickness is 1/2" and the minimum root face deminsion is 1/8".

Here's the question my employer has asked: Can we use a procedure with machine settings within the electrode manufacturer's recommended parameters, using joint BC-P6-GF for pjp groove welds on material greater than or equal to 1/4" thick and place a backing weld on the "other side" of the joint without any joint preparation for cosmetic purposes and call it a prequalified pjp procedure, or must we qualify the procedure?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-20-2011 11:09
If you meet all the requirements of Clause 3 (2010 edition) it can be a prequalified procedure.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / prequalified pjp vs qualified through testing