Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / excessive root opening repairs
- - By benno Date 06-17-2011 15:25
It is my understanding that all AWS D1.1 and D1.5 one sided prequalified CJP butt welds are based on the assumption that the two pieces to be welded are free from each other and the steel backing is welded to one side only before start of the root pass of the prequalified joint weld.  Let's assume that due to fabrication/construction tolerances the joint is not in conformance with the required joint dimensions.  Per D1.1 section 5.22.4.3 the joint dimensions may be corrected within certain limitations by welding (buttering) to acceptable dimensions prior to joining the parts by welding.  D1.5 section 3.3.4.1 provides a similar clause.  Additionally, D1.5 C3.3.4.1 clearly states that "All repair welding is to be done on the free ends of pieces, before joining the pieces together."   This appears clear, however, I have a condition where the welder didn't follow these clauses of the code.  The welder buttered both sides of the joint using the backing to build up the joint geometry thus locking the backing to both sides of the joint. The CJP weld was then performed.  To worsen the situation, the fit-up of the joint exceeded the limitations of the aforementioned AWS clauses, requiring engineer approval.  Only after the welds were completed was the engineer notified however.  Obviously the welder did not follow the code, but now the "existing" condition must be resolved and the effect of the residual stresses on the structures performance determined.   Unfortunately this occurs at multiple locations as well.  Any thoughts and help is appreciated.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 06-17-2011 15:53
benno

First
Welcome to the American Welding Society Online Forum

Without more information about the only thing comes to mind is have the welds in question UT'd

Good Luck

Marshall
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-17-2011 16:02
Is the concern that the backing now has stresses built up in it due to the buttering of the joint on both sides...can you remove the backing and re-weld the second side to eliminate the possible stress from shrinkage?
Parent - - By benno Date 06-17-2011 18:15 Edited 06-17-2011 18:41
Thanks Marshall & John. Yes, the joints have passed UT inspection.   As for more information, you can assume there are two 3/4" plates x 14" wide to be butt spliced with a one sided CJP requiring a 3/8" root opening.  Steel backing is used and to be left in place as the back side isn't accessible.  The joint as erected has a root opening of 1.5 inch that cannot be corrected by adjusting the plates.  The welder added a wider backing to cover the 1" root opening, buttered up each side of the joint 5/8" on top of the backing to meet the required root dimension.  My understanding of AWS D1.5 C3.3.4.1 is that this is NOT permitted, but rather the pieces must be free from each other when buttering is performed.  The way it was performed creates an initial state that is not in conformance with the AWS prequalified joint.  I'm not stating the weld as performed is not allowed, but it is not in conformance with the premise of the prequalified joint and would require a separate PQR.  The joint as built has a weld of 1.5 inches of shrinkage stresses built into it since it was locked through the backing.  We have different projects with similar issues and one is subject to D1.1 and other subject to D1.5 so you'll notice i've referenced each in the initial post.  See attached sketch.
Attachment: weld.jpg (31k)
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 06-17-2011 18:48
At this point I would submit the UT results and all pertenant information to the EOR for his disposition.

If accepted be sure to have a written acceptance letter approving the variation to the EOR for his signature.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-17-2011 19:06
benno,
I'm going to agree with you due to the Commentary in D1.5 C3.3.4.1 that the intent of the code is for the ends to be free to move until the buttering is completed and then after the joint is dimensionally correct, the final weld is placed....but what can you do after the fact?

Marshall,
UT is not going to show anything other than to say that the material is free of any dis-continuities...stresses will not show their heads until something is stressed above the material's limits and fails.

For future projects....when an inspector finds a root opening of 1.5" when .375" is detailed, he notifies the EOR of the condition....now what? Will the EOR have to come up with a fix?

How does the erector end up buttering both free ends without having access to the other side...the welder will need some sort of dam or run-off tabs to keep the filler from just running off....then try to get a grinder or something behind the joint to shape up the back side of the root so that the backing bar will fit tight against the back side. Naturally, the easiest way is to place a wide backing bar as you described above.

I've seen this situation before but I have never seen where it ever gets resolved to everybody's satisfaction....thus my question.

It usually ends up just like you have described...the field ends up buttering the joint and the final welds are placed...then the job has a black cloud hanging over it with doubts about what will happen at the joint where the root was way too wide.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 06-17-2011 19:29
John
As I started with more information is needed. :cool:
The O.P." The welder buttered both sides of the joint using the backing to build up the joint geometry thus locking the backing to both sides of the joint"
But I agree ut would not tell me the stress's but it could help me believe that the buttering was not full of inclusions and such.

Marshall
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-18-2011 17:05 Edited 06-18-2011 17:10
The magnitude of the residual stress is on par with the yield strength of the base metal and filler metal. The commentary is not part of the code and while it is intended to be "helpful" it does not add or subtract from or to the requirements of the code.

The fact that the backing was tack welded to the structural member is not going to increase the magnitude of the residual stress. If the cross section of the backing bar was relatively large in comparison to the members being welded, the resulting residual stress could cause small tack welds to fail if they were located outside the groove. If the tack welds were inside the groove and if the welder used small stringer beads for the root beads, one along the root face of each member, and if the welder were to allow the interpass temperature to drop to ambient such that there was sufficient contraction due to the delta T, it would be possible to cause the root beads to fail. It would appear that was not the case since the UT detected no cracks or unacceptable reflectors in the completed weld. The weld is sound.

It is best if there is no restraint when correcting the excessive root opening to mitigate the chance of crack initiation. However, there are situations where there are no alternatives but to accommodate the residual stresses that are a fact of life when welding. That is why the selection of base metals has to include due consideration of factors such as chemistry, state of heat treatment, and ductility rather than strength alone. The material selected has to have sufficient ductility to allow for some plastic deformation during welding. If there is insufficient ductility, the material will be too brittle and cracks will result.

The prequalified base metals listed in D1.1 and D1.5 typically have "relatively" low carbon equivalencies to mitigate the probability of forming hard brittle martensite in the HAZ. Filler metals are formulated with low carbon equivalencies for the same reason. Alternatives to carbon are utilized as alloying constituents to ensure adequate strength and ductility without increasing the carbon equivalency beyond a certain threshold to reduce the probability of forming hard brittle microstructures and to mitigate cracking problems while welding. 

If the material involved in this situation was high strength alloy steel, the outcome could have been different, but it would appear the welds are sound, free of cracks, and the stars were in proper alignment. It would appear the connection provided sufficient flexibility, i.e., it was unrestrained, to accommodate the contraction that occurred as the connection cooled from its maximum interpass temperature to ambient temperature. The residual stress causes plastic flow to accommodate the stress, which in turn results in strain that can strain hardening which increases the weld/BM strength (in the area that is subject to stain).  If the residual stresses were not accommodated by plastic deformation, i.e., the base metal lack sufficient ductility, cracks will result when the residual stresses equal the tensile strength of the base metal (at the temperature at which the cracks initiate). That is one reason why the Bridge Code has limitations on the yield strength of the weld when qualifying the WPS. As the value of the ratio of tensile strength to yield strength approaches unity (1), the likelihood of cracking increases. This is exactly the situation when welding high strength quenched and tempered steels where the TS/YS ratio is nearly “1”. Q&T steels with poor ductility are more prone to cracking than low strength steels that have better ductility and where TS/YS ratios are greater than 1.

All is good; fortune was on the side of the welder. Accept the welds and move on to the next problem.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / excessive root opening repairs