Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PJP Groove Weld Qualification
- - By bmaas1 (***) Date 06-21-2011 18:03
Is NDT required for PJP groove weld qualification?  In D1.1-2010 section 4.9.2 states, "Before preparing mechanical test specimens, the qualification test plate, pipe, or tubing shall be nondestructively tested for soundness as follow:" which is RT or UT.

Section C-4.9.2 in the commentary states ALL WPS qualification test plates shall be subjected to RT or UT testing.

We would do UT if neccessary but it does not seem right since there is an inherent flaw in a PJP groove weld or am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Brian
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 06-22-2011 15:46
Anyone have any thoughts on this one? 

It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-22-2011 17:01
All I can think of is that the intent would be to rule out any flaws that exist in the coupons before welding, since a lamination would be difficult to spot against the dark root in the pjp, and you wouldn't be able to distinguish such a feature from a crack, IF or overlap.  I'm sure some of the more experienced gentlemen in this forum will have some ideas about this one as well.
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 06-22-2011 17:59
The usual practice around these parts is to qualify your PQR with a CJP in the appropriate thickness range. That allows you to UT/RT and qualify PJP's for the joint configuration. There are PJP's in Clause 3 if you meet the requirements.
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 06-22-2011 18:10
Unfortuanely my joint configuration is not ideal.  It is 30 V-Groove with my plate orientation at 210 degrees.  It is used for a SAW seam welder with a water cooled backing shoe so a full pen weld is not possible with our machine.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PJP Groove Weld Qualification