Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Newly aquired CWI certification
- - By ironhead42 Date 06-22-2011 18:18
Hello everybody,

I am looking for some insight trying to breaking into the industry as a "green" CWI. I recetly passed the CWI exam under D1.1 and I have over 6 years experience under the hood. 3 years in a fabrication shop and little over 3 years as an Ironworker, so it's not like I don't have experience in the trade. Everwhere I apply wants someone with 3-5 years experience as a CWI. How do I get experience if no one is willing to give me a chance? I'm willing to do whatever it takes, just need to get my foot in the door. Any advise and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Anthony
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 06-22-2011 18:48
Anthony, I see you are from the western slope of CO.  I worked in Parachute, lived in Rifle, while working (Daniels International) on the Union Oil shale oil retort project back in early 80's and broke out from pipe welding to inspection field at that time.

Not many big towns on your side of the slope so the only advice I can give you is to seek inspection work for a large company in a larger city.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 06-23-2011 05:19
Congratulations on your CWI cert. Yep, now comes the hard part, getting a job/experience. You might have to back down on the pay scale and look into shops (like the one you were/are in) or being a NDE Tech for someone like Acuren.
Being "under the Hood" has little relevance to QC work. It gives one insight, but even the requirements for CWI do not state welding as being necessary prior to taking the exam. If you don't know the basic MicroSoft Office software already, learn all you can working with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Since you don't live in Houston, Milwaukee or other huge industrial town, are you willing to move to facilitate your new career choice? Or, are you willing to come over to "the sand box" and play with us here. They are looking for 16 CWI's, and it doesn't look like there are enough applicants yet. PM me if you are interested in coming to Afghanistan. Fairly sure that even a green CWI has a chance to break out in this arena. I don't hire but can maybe help prepare you for the interview.

Either way, don't let lack of responses deter your quest. When I am between projects, I typically send out maybe 10 CVs a day. If I am lucky, perhaps 2 responses a week and many of those are "dear John Letters". Or, "well keep your Resume on file", which of course means your not getting an offer.
Keep searching, don't give up, don't pass up on an opportunity. Even an undesirable QC job is a resume builder.
- - By fitter (**) Date 06-22-2011 21:39
Hi Anthony, My advice is just keep sending out resumes.I got my CWI 3 years ago and was still welding as a fitter and must have sent out a hundred resumes before I got a job inspecting. Just keep looking for jobs and answer everyone that interests you. Be patient
Parent - By ironhead42 Date 06-23-2011 13:40
Thank you very much for all of the insight. I am trying to get in with all the big companies out in Colorado, willing to take a pay cut to gain some experience. Wife is about to have a baby soon so not looking to move if I don't have too.

Thanks for your time,
Antony
- - By dhwootten (*) Date 06-24-2011 19:28
Hi All.  I too have recently acquired my CWI and am looking for a job.  While I've worked for a steel bridge company for the past 9 years, I only have about 6 months hands on experience that was spent w/ the QC Mgr.  The rest of my career was spent chained to a desk.  I'm looking for a job as a 3rd party inpsector and am willing to travel but would love to find a company that would place me with another inspector for a few months for some additional training.  Any suggestions on companies that are willing to train, if I'm willing to travel? 
Thanks in advance!
Donna
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-24-2011 21:49
Donna

With that much experience welding bridges, you may be acceptable to the DOTs as a third party inspector.  Your QC inspection experience might be enough to sway them, though they usually are looking for three years QC or QA experience.

TPI QA inspection work is considerably different than "in house" QC inspection work, and most of it requires extensive and moderate to long term travel away from home.  You may have to learn how to write adequate reports.

On the internet there is "inspectionjobs.com",which has extensive lists of job opennings.

Try Pennoni Associates, King of Prussia PA.  1-610-277-2402, and ask for Dan DeMaria.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By dhwootten (*) Date 06-26-2011 01:21
Thanks Joe!  I checked the Pennoni website and I believe they go through Monster.com so I downloaded my resume on Monster.  I'm only sent out about 6 resumes and everyone say that I just need to be patient but it's hard.  I'm ready to go to work!  :-)  Thanks again!!
Parent - By BankerQC (*) Date 09-27-2011 19:06
Hello there DH,
ARe you wanting to travel, or just willing ?
You May be what we are seeking.... Please have a look at our web site and if still interested
pleae contact our HR manager.

Bankersteel.com... not sure if we have a listing posted for inspection or not but dont let that keep from contacting us if your still interested.

BobC
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Newly aquired CWI certification