Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / who knows the curie temperature of SA210C
- - By dragon (**) Date 06-23-2011 10:38
some SA210C tube with magnetic, so it's difficult to welding these tubes.

Anyone can give me some advice or method to remove the magnetism of the tube. 

I also want to know, if  we heat the tube above it curie temperature then cooling to room temperature,  magnetism on tube will disappear or not?
Parent - By MMyers (**) Date 06-23-2011 12:51
For iron, the curie temp is above the austenitizing temp.  If you heat the tube, you will alter the grain structure and mechanical properties. 

Do a search on arc blow on this forum.  There have been many discussions about how to demagnetize a pipe.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 06-23-2011 15:56
attach a magnet to the material. apply heat and when the magnet falls off you have reached curie point
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-23-2011 18:25 Edited 06-23-2011 18:38
As noted, the Curie Point or Curie Temperature is the temperature at which the steel is no longer magnetic. This occurs when the steel undergoes Allotropic Transformation. The crystalline structure transforms from the body centered cubic to face centered cubic unit cell. The temperature at which Allotropic transformation is complete is dependent on the Carbon content. Transformation begins at approximately 1333 degrees F. It isn't complete until the all the Carbon goes into solution and all the Ferrite and Pearlite have transformed into Austenite.  Pearlite, which is a eutectic of Carbon and Iron, containing 0.83% Carbon, transforms to Austenite around 1333 degrees F. For Low Carbon Steels the Curie Point is about 1400 degrees F. which is lower than the temperature at which the transformation to Austenite is compete.

The following URL shows the Iron-Iron Carbide Equilibrium Diagram that may be useful. www.sv.vt.edu/classes/MSE2094_NoteBook/96ClassProj/examples/kimcon.html

This is a classic homework question.

Once the part has been heated uniformly above the Curie Point, the part is no longer magnetized. It is still magnetic, that is it can be remagnetized by coming into close proximity to a permanent magnet or by passing current through it. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-23-2011 23:02 Edited 06-23-2011 23:04
Al,

I can't get the URL to take me to anything, could you double check it for accuracy please? 

EDIT:  OOPPSS!!! my mistake.  Got it.  I have a copy of that in my stack of papers, somewhere.  You might add  http//  to the front of that and just make it a link to click on.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-24-2011 17:23
Glad it worked. I tried it again and it got me to where I wanted to be.

Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-27-2011 05:59
Here you go Al & Brent...

http://www.sv.vt.edu/classes/MSE2094_NoteBook/96ClassProj/examples/kimcon.html

That should bring everyone to the link.:wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 06-23-2011 20:12
can you wrap it in a coil and draw it out slowly.
AC current
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / who knows the curie temperature of SA210C