Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 7018 with 505 mistake
- - By sallie Date 11-11-2002 23:40
I am currently taking a welding class. I need help from anyone who can tell me whether or not you have to take out the 505 rod mistake or you can leave it in. We welded a 3/4" plate with E7018 1/8 diameter with 1/4 root opening with a backing strip overhead only stringer beads. After the hot pass we placed 3 beads in (505). The job is overbudjet does the pass have to be removed accorded to code or according to anything you have encounter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 11-12-2002 04:09
If the 505 electrode was not used in the weld procedure qualification for the plate that was welded, it needs to either be removed or the procedure requalified with the E7018 and 505 combination in the same joint to meet most codes I am familiar with. You'll also have to discuss this with the customer or design engineer if you plan to requalify the procedure and leave the 505 in the weld. It may be quicker and less expensive to get out the arc gouge and/or grinder, remove that section of weld, and reweld with the correct electrode. Being over budget is no justification for not doing the right thing.

Marty
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 7018 with 505 mistake