Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Renewal
- - By unclematt (***) Date 06-29-2011 20:33
Good afternoon;
I have a question pertaining to CWI renewal and the requirements in QC1. It states, in 15.4 I believe, that a CWI shall have no greater than two years inactivity to retain his/her license. If a person was working as a CWI in 2009 and then wasn't employed as a CWI again until 2011, would the CWI have to take Part B again? Or has he/she, in your opinion, complied with QC1? I have read on here where a post has stated  that a CWI needs to have two years of continuous activity to retain their license.

Thanks;
Matt
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 06-29-2011 22:45
unclematt

You read it right

15.4 The SCWI and CWI requesting renewal of certification shall attest to having no period of continuous
inactivity greater than two years in activities as described
in AWS B5.1,  Specification for the Qualification of
Welding Inspectors during the previous three years of
certification
15.4.1 The SCWI and CWI not meeting the requirements of 15.4 may renew by taking the CWI Part B Practical exam and meet the scoring requirements in 6.2.2 of
this standard.

Good Luck

Marshall
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-30-2011 11:17
unclemat

It does not require "Continuous Activity".  It says you cannot have continuous inactivity.
Joe Kane
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 06-30-2011 14:05
Thank you Marshall and Mr. Kane for your responses. My employ as a CWI has been sparse. I was a contract CWI in April-May 2009. I was unable to secure employment as a CWI again until March 2011. I was a welder for a couple of companies between CWI assignments. In my interpretation of 15.4, I would not be disqualified to renew my license by sending in my renewal fee because there was not two years total between CWI assignments. Am I correct in my thinking?

Thanks;
Matt
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 06-30-2011 16:08
the time as a welder inbetween cwi contracts counts as activity.
MAKE SURE YOU GET  REQUIRED VERIFICATION FROM EMPLOYERS
MDK
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 06-30-2011 16:14
Thanks Mikeqc1;
That takes a little load off my mind.
- - By unclematt (***) Date 07-15-2011 15:30
Just a thought. If I am employed as a CWI at the time of my renewal; would I have to worry about going back and accounting for past assignments?
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-15-2011 16:03
as long as you can show no period of in activity.
i think if you have a job for the last 6 months of the 3rd year youd better show somthin to close the gap of the first 2.5 years.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 07-15-2011 16:05
thank you
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Renewal