Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Which process is low in cost?
- - By Huibing Ge Date 11-12-2002 09:04
Which process is low in cost,flux-cored wires welding with 100% co2 compared to plused- Mig with solid wires ,98% Ar 2% co2? And is there
large differention in welding quality?
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 11-12-2002 17:33
I do not believe that one can make a blanket statement that one process is always lower in cost than another process. One would have to look at the application.

In general, the cost is dictated by the labour costs rather than the consumables, although it obviously also plays a part. In the case of FCAW, the deposition rates are generally higher. If you can take advantage of these higher deposition rates, then this process may be less expensive.

On the other hand, with GMAW you have much less cleaning. (no slag) If you can take advantage of this, then GMAW may be the cheaper process.

Done properly, FCAW should give as good a result as GMAW.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By Huibing Ge Date 11-13-2002 00:49
Thanks for your reply .
We are using now is FCAW in stainless steel weld.But some welding suppliers said pulsed-Mig with solid wires is obvious cheaper,the reason is the price of solid wire is about 7 dollars per kilogram and the price of flux-cored wire is 11 dollars per kg, and they claimed the deposition rates of pulsed Mig is only a little lower? Is that true?
Hope your reply.
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 11-14-2002 18:05
It is very difficult to say which will be better in your application. I believe that if you are welding thick materials where impact properties are not of major importance, then FCAW will definately give you higher deposition rates than pulsed spray GMAW.

If however your application is not as stated above, then pulsed spray might give you a lower cost weld. I would suggest that you run some tests to see which will be the best for your application.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By Sean (**) Date 11-12-2002 20:37
As Niekie has stated it is hard to give the right answer to suit your needs. However, if you like the easy to clean aspects of GMAW and you want the penetration of FCAW perhaps you should examine metal-core arc welding. It is a compromise between the two processes.

Your local welding supplier or welding engineer will be able to help you pick out a process that is best for you.

Regards,
Sean
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-13-2002 12:11
I have not used Metal Core wire (we use FCAW) but I hear it has less fume generation and will allow high disposition rates.
Just a thought,
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Which process is low in cost?