Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ACCP Certs
- - By unclematt (***) Date 07-01-2011 16:18
Hello;
I was wondering if any of you had gone ahead and gotten the ACCP VT cert from ASNT? If so, was there any benefit to having this cert as far as employability, wage increase, etc? For the price, it doesn't look like a bad deal.

Thanks;
Matt.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-01-2011 17:45
Im submitting my ACCP application next month the reason im getting it is due to customer requirments.
you may run into someone who requires it and if you got the 200 to spend go for it.
Any cert you earn increases your value all around.
MDK
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 07-01-2011 18:15
Thanks. Another feather in the cap I suppose. Have a safe weekend.

Matt
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-01-2011 18:52
The additional feather was how I looked at it also....however, I have yet to see the VT Level II required or asked for in any of our contracts...so, I have to wonder in my case if it was worth the effort and the extra money to keep it up every three years.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-01-2011 19:24 Edited 07-01-2011 19:38
NOT having the Level II VT cost me a very profitable gig overseas a couple of years back. Instead, I got to max out my unenjoyment account. Got that problem taken care of.

Took level I and II UT classroom. Paid my own tuition, travel, and all the other associated costs involved. I have yet to get any hands on hours squiggling the mouse around, and may never. BUT, I can at least converse semi-intelligently with the techs when on a project with UT.
Training and furthering education is always a good thing whether it is readily used or not. It is just another shiny new tool in the box waiting for that magic moment to be pulled out. You can't just run down to the LWS and get one of these *tools* at a moments notice.

Get enough *feathers* and one can soar with eagles instead of scrapping over road kill with the magpies...
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 07-02-2011 15:39
if you have your aws cwi asnt will give you the level two  vt for
the application fee  koe
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-04-2011 11:25
Yes, they "give" it to you for $200 clams.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-04-2011 11:43
Superflux

Besides the "200 clams", it is a "Limited" VT certification.  Al Moore (Forum 80356) can tell  you that the ACCP certification is useless for Most of the Mil-Spec work he is involved with.  ASNT-SNT-TC-1A certification and CP-189 certification is required!  I think the ACCP certification in visual welding inspection is "Just another feather in the cap" designed to give ASNT money.

Joe Kane
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 07-04-2011 14:20 Edited 07-04-2011 14:26
Joe,
Fortunately for me:
1) I'm dealing with the "end user", and not the fabricator. Well, I do unfortunately get to "rat off" on the fabricator on occasion, but instead of them getting penalized in the wallet, they just whine to the DOD and get paid for fixing it at the taxpayer's expense.
2) Many of the DOD's JPO and Army Corps of Engineers engineers, are not Welding experienced.
3) "Just another feather in the cap" designed to give ASNT money... Somewhat akin to the AWS' CAWI?
4) It is still nice fluff stuff on the Resume, even if it is only recognized by the unenlightened HR pukes that determine whose app. gets passed up or tossed in the round file under the desk.
5) It is good that the TACOM 12479550 has so much in common with AWS D1.1. I was initially concerned that the Mil Spec would be in some foreign hieroglyphics.

But hey, thanks for rubbing it in that I wasted $200 clams that I could have spent on a lap dance from "Mercedes" with before leaving the USA...lol

BTW Happy 4th of July to everyone back home from here in the sand box.
If you know any soldiers serving over here, be sure to keep in contact. Those who have been to war know what it's like to get a letter from back home, no matter how much or little you know them.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-04-2011 18:47 Edited 07-06-2011 11:06
The keel you have set has a dogleg in it Joe.

It is the ACCP my military customers do accept. It is the AWS CWI and SCWI they will not accept. One shipyard insisted that I rewrite my Written Practice and required that I delete all reference to the AWS QC1 program or certifications issued by AWS. As stupid as it is, he who holds the gold makes the rules. I rewrote my Written Practice to comply with the "customer's" requirements.

The same yard would not accept my AWS SCWI credential, but they did accept ACCP for visual inspection. That being said, I found the ASNT Level III examination for VT absolutely useless for welding inspection. It is fine if you work as an incoming receiving/inspector, but the entire test only had about 6 questions on welds and brazing. I let my ACCP Level III VT lapse and retook my Level III VT examinations through a third party so it would be relevant to the type of inspections I do.

A couple of years ago I attended a meeting in San Diego sponsored by the Navy. At that time the CWI and SCWI had been deleted from the upcoming revision of NAVSEA T9074-AS-GIB-010/271. Based on my experience, I would say the ACCP VT Level II offered by ASNT with proof of having the CWI or SCWI credential, two box tops, and two thin dimes is acceptable to military customers for certification as an Inspector (Level II).

Just to elaborate on the absurdity of it all, in addition to passing the Level III examination, I have to pass a written examination developed by my customers based on the Written Practice and the VT procedures I wrote for them to ensure I have a working knowledge of my own documents. You just have to love working with the government.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-04-2011 21:32
Super flux

As you can see from Al Moore's post below your's, I was wrong about the usefullness of the ASNT ACCP VT and the NAVSEA Military jobs he does.

However, please don't blame me or Al for the CAWI.  I have been trying to get rid of the CAWI for nearly fifteen years.  I get all kinds of support on the Certification Committee in caucus discussions, but when I make the motion, I do not even get a Seconder to the motion.

I also have a long history about the ASNT ACCP program and the AWS, going back to 1994.  It is too long a history to talk about here.

Joe Kane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ACCP Certs