Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Storage recommendations for FC309L wire
- - By Mac L (*) Date 07-05-2011 17:59
Has anyone ever had any problems with the Lincoln Ultracore FC309L wire being contaminated when left out for a couple of days? We run the wire fairly often and have never had any problems before, but recently when the humidity goes up it seems like every roll of stainless wire that is out on the shop floor needs to be replaced. The wire is kept indoors and dry, currently we just leave the roll on a machine until it runs out. I have checked with lincoln and tried to get some storage recommendations and they don't seem to have any. The wire is manufactured on a plastic spool, so I assume that it is not recommended for an oven. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mac
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-05-2011 18:03
Take the plastic bag it comes in and use it to cover the coil at the end of the shift. Also, if its really humid you may need to hit it lightly with a rosebud to get the moisture off the surface in the morning. Careful with the plastic.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-06-2011 13:43
JS55

If you use a rosebud, how do you limit the condensation on the cooler parts of the electrode?!?!?!?!  I'm sorry to sound so negative to someone with your depth of expertise, but this advice sure sounds like burning the moisture out of the pores in the metal!

Joe Kane
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-06-2011 14:08
Joe.
No pores. :lol:
But I spent years in places like south carolina, houston, and the ohio valley where humidity can be out of control. What I found was that a light pass of the rose bud over the wire in the spool goes a long way towards removing surface condensation from the wire that is exposed to the atmosphere over night (the outer coils). The bag helps a great deal as well since any accumulated dust can retain moisture. I'd do the bag first and see what happens. That in itself usually took care of it.
I might clip cleaners in front of the drive roller feed guide as well.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 07-05-2011 18:56
That wire is susceptible to moisture contamination if in a high humidity area.  I've used it before and had to bag it at the end of shift.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Storage recommendations for FC309L wire