Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welder qualification for unlimited thickness on A514 B
- - By kevin dowdle Date 07-06-2011 11:50
I work at a large open pit mine and we have recently had some issues with the welds cracking when welding new bucket lips into buckets. The lips are 4" A514 and the plates welding to them are also A514. I need to have all my welders test on 514 plate. Would the root and face bend test be sufficient for this test?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-06-2011 14:08
One inch and side bends.
Are these shovel and dragline buckets?. Preheat of course and bead sequencing during weld out is important. I always tried to "Float" when fitting these. By that I mean I that the fit would be made with wedges, so that after the tacks were made and the wedges removed, the metal to metal contact was minimal to non existant. This allows the weldment to flex (Float) under the various twists and turns during weld out.
What throws up the flag is...Why is this suddenly an issue. What has changed? Assuming that this is a routine job having been done many times before.
Parent - By kevin dowdle Date 07-06-2011 14:59
Specifically 994 loader buckets. Could be several reasons. Our supplier of lips recently acquired another foundry in Arizona and we now get our lips from there. Before I took over as weld foreman, the shop was using E81T1-Ni1CJ H8 wire. They always had cracking after a period of use. We are now using a dual shield 110 with 75/25 gas on the full penetration welds.
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 07-07-2011 03:52
The 1" side bends do qualify for unlimited thickness in an AWS WPS - different rules for ASME. 1" also qualifies the welder for unlimited. What I find curious is the statement that you have 4" thick A514 B, as per the title of your post. I believe the max thickness for grade B is 1 1/4". A 514 4" thick would have to be, if memory serves me correctly, grades F, P, or Q. Now this is important as far as the WPS is concerned because each grade has a different chemical structure and thus you have to qualify a WPS for each separate grade you want to join. Thus Grade B to Grade F would require a separate WPS different from Grade B to Grade Q. As far as WPQR's the base material is not an essential variable and you can qualify the welders in ASTM A-36 if you wish.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-07-2011 17:49
I am curious, what welding standard are you attempting to meet?

The requirements of AWS D1.1 are not necessarily applicable. You may be able to use a D14.X welding standard that covers construction equipment or no welding code what so ever if there is no legal requirement or if your insurance carrier imposes not requirements. 

You could use AWS B2.1 as a guide to qualify your welders. You can also use B2.1 to qualify a WPS if need be.

Just a point to keep in mind, when performing the guided bend tests, not every base metal is bent to the same diameter. Metals with greater ductility are bent using smaller diameter mandrels than those metals with low or limited ductility.

There is a high probability the ASTM A514 steel samples would fracture if you used a small bending mandrel intended for low carbon steel such as ASTM A36. Per ASME Section IX, the mandrel diameter for A36 is 4T (where T is the thickness of the bend strap), while the A514 should use a mandrel diameter equal to 6 2/3 T.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-08-2011 02:46 Edited 07-08-2011 02:49
6 2/3 T... why not 6.66 T ? Is the devil in the details?:evil::evil::evil:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-08-2011 05:41
Everyone likes a little ass, but no one likes  smart ass!  :wink:

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-09-2011 03:41
I am a journyman wiseass. I apprenticed under several master wiseasses. During that time I learned the tool & die trade too.:grin:
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-12-2011 06:29
Who called a meeting of the "Wiseass - smartasses?" Why wasn't I informed earlier Al???:eek::roll::razz::confused::lol::wink::cool: Btw, have you touched base with Jeff???:razz::wink::yell::eek::lol::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 07-08-2011 04:01
If you look up the P numbers in Section IX you will find each grade delineated separately. I am not aware of that distinction being made in AWS. This is a bit curious in that AWS is usually more conservative in engineering philosophy than ASME, but apparently not in the case of this particular material. That the chemical compositions are different for each grade are plainly found in ATSM A514 tables of chemistry, and thus each is a slightly different alloy.

The point about mandrel diameter is quite correct, but I'm not following your point Al. My point to the poster was that his test material for WPQR's could be something a bit cheaper than using A514. Its not necessary under ASME or AWS afaik to test welders on the actual base material qualified by the WPS. The mandrel size is dictated by the material actually used for welder quals. Interestingly enough, I had a bunch of PQR's bent with the 4t mandrel (in as welded condition) by the lab I was using because the lab manager didn't bother to look up the yield of A514. Even then they all had sufficient ductility.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-08-2011 05:38
Hello John;

The point I was trying to make is that there may be no requirement to use AWS D1.1.

Different welding standards are available that may better address the needs of this individual.

ASTM A514 is a quenched and tempered steel. The welding technique used should consider the heat input and the possibility that utilizing the wrong welding technique could degrade the properties of the HAZ such that the optimum properties may not be achieved.

Normally the purpose of the welder performance test is to verify the welder can deposit a sound weld. The goal isn't to verify the procedure used is capable of producing the required mechanical properties. That being the case, certain welding standards allow the welder to weld base metals that are not necessarily the same as that used in production. However, in this case there is no requirement for the employer to meet the requirements of a specific welding code or standard.

My personal philosophy and preference is for the welder use the same base metal and the same technique (procedure) as will be used in production to ensure the welder understands what he is expected to do. Since there may be no mandatory code requirement, the company may decide not to qualify the welding procedure as outlined in AWS D1.1, ASME Section IX, or AWS B2.1. They may opt to simply have each welder weld a coupon and utilize a guided bend test to assess the ductility and soundness of the weld.

If the company elected to evaluate the welded test coupons by radiography, they would not know whether the welded had sufficient ductility. While the guided bend test doesn't provide the same information the reduced section tensile test does, it does provide some information such as whether sufficient preheat is used to avoid a hardened HAZ, whether delayed cracking is a problem (the guided bends would fail if there were preexisting hydrogen cracks in the HAZ), and whether the HAZ was grossly degraded indicated when the bends are concentrated in the HAZ  when a plunger and die bending machine was utilized.

Quenched and tempered steels typically have less ductility than lower strength steels. It is back to basics; higher strength, higher hardness, at the expense of ductility. The fact that a welded sample of Q&T steel was successfully bent using a smaller than recommended mandrel diameter is an indication that the HAZ cooled too slowly, i.e., excessive heat input, which translates into a potential for lower toughness, lower strength, lower hardness, greater ductility. In other words, you lost some of the mechanical properties that you paid a premium to get because the heat input wasn't properly monitored.

While I am not saying there is a linear correlation between the ratios of TS/YS, it does provide a reasonable comparison of the ductility of two different steels. Consider ASTM A36. The ratio of TS/YS is approximately 58/36 = 1.6. The TS/YS ratio for ASTM A514 is approximately 100/90 = 1.1. Published mechanical properties list the ductility of A36 to be about 20-22% minimum in 2 inches while A514 is about 16%-18% minimum. As the ratio of TS/YS approaches unity, lower ductility can be expected when compared to a steel that has a ratio greater than 1.

Perhaps I am straying from the question asked in the original post, so I’ll stop here.

Best regards – Al
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 07-08-2011 15:32
I have no problem but cost in using the same base/filler for welder qualification; I have to agree it gives a slightly more realistic estimation of the welder's ability to deposit sound filler metal. An extreme example of this in ASME would be the fact that you can have a welder qualify using P1 to P1 and use the same test to allow him to weld P8 to P8. For some processes such as GTAW there's not a lot of difference from the welders point of view, but there is a world of difference using SMAW out of position.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 07-08-2011 18:00 Edited 07-08-2011 18:09
Esab claims Dual Shield 110 is for single pass only, and is for CO2 use.  Are you using Dual Shield II 110?

Quite a few years ago I did new manufacturing of exavator buckets.  All 3 cutting edges were T-1 steel, as well as the wear bars under and around the backs of the buckets.  The cutting edges were about 1 1/2" to 3" thick depending on the size of the bucket.  The remainder of the bucket was mild steel, other than the bushings which were 4140.

We used a 70 KSI filler metal for the entire bucket, including to weld the tooth adapters to the bottom cutting edge.  I believe we used Lincoln Outershield 70.  1/16" was the diameter.

I don't remember the preheat temps we used but think it was 225 to possibly as high as 350.  I have a US Steel T-1 welding guide that warns sternly about not using excessive preheats.  But our filler strength was well under the T-1 anyways so any loss of strength in the base metal never seemed to be an issue.

In any case I can't remember any warranty claims ever being made for failing welds that could have been attributed to low filler strength (as opposed to fitup and/or joint geometry issues).

BTW I don't think many welders in production had credentials of any kind.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 07-08-2011 18:18
I agree with Blaster, We have done numerous ESCO Buckets and Lips for buckets, using E70T1 1/16" wire, and around 250º preheat. The Plate was A514 from 3/4" up to 8 inches thick.
ESCO's procedures even called for splicing the Lip end Castings to the 8" lip plate (All A514and equivelant casts) with E70T1.
No reason for the 110 electrode. (at least in their procedures)
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-09-2011 02:11
Hi guys,
Would AWS D14.3 (Earthmoving code) not be more appropriate ?
I have lost my copy, maybe it references AWS D1.1 anyway.
On the filler metal, here in the mines in Australia (mainly iron ore and coal) they weld everything from small loaders to 6000 ton draglines with E71T-1. Marion, Bucyrus and P&H (some rather large American equipment suppliers) have numerous welding procedures with 70 ksi filler metals - no 80 ksi and definitely no 110 ksi.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-09-2011 04:02
In these aplications the "stronger" materials are being used for their greater wear resistance rather than their greater strength, aren't they?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-09-2011 05:41
Always wanted to read a copy of D14.3. I worked in one shop that was an ESCO and Caterpillar authorized manufacturer and all our work was fabbed to D1.1 criteria. Also, E71T-1 was the primary filler. I know of one Marion Dragline (100 plus cubic yard) that was built with Lincoln NR211!
Consistent and proper preheat is extremely difficult with these type assemblies due to size, geometry, ambient temp, weather and other conditions. Weed burners are the heat source of choice and as a welder in the maintenance of these, cracking was a common occurrence. Foremen would just tell you to keep adding weld till the piece wouldn't fall off. During hardfacing overlay and damming/lacing, there are no crack free welds... well very few.
Parent - By robertjhorton Date 07-11-2011 20:12
For what it's worth to everyone, for all grades of A514 material on Marion products the weld filler was E110XX with a preheat requirement of 400F for materials over 2.5 in. It was common to use Belchfire torches in the shop with heat blankets to provide a consistent preheat while welding. If we had a problem with the welds cracking, say longitudinal to the weld HAZ. It was common for us to then butter weld the weld joint face with SAW E70XX-4 with a minimum three passes, then lower the preheat to 250 and then join the two together with FCAW E70XX-4. This allowed for better ductility in the weld and worked for us all the time. Marions Weld standards where all based on D1.1 criteria, not D14.3. I was fortunate enough to Run the Marion Weld and Fab Department from 1990-1997 before thay sold to B.E.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welder qualification for unlimited thickness on A514 B