Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Who's Qualified
- - By doitdorado (*) Date 07-13-2011 15:04
What is required of a person who signs off on a welder qualification by witnessing the welding and completing the required test per code (D1.1)? By this what I am asking does the person need to be a CWI? Can this person be anybody the company assigns?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-13-2011 15:08
Just a representative of the company. Someone who has the authority given to them by the company to sign off and witness the welding. It is just a statement that the person who is welding is maintaining their continuity while employed at the company.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 07-13-2011 16:38 Edited 07-13-2011 16:42
doitdorado

Just to add a little to John's reply.

AWS D1.1 - 2008

1.4.2 Contractors Responsibilities
The Contractor shall be responsible for WPS's, qualification of welding personnel, the contractors inspection, and performing work in conformance to this code and contract documents.

6.1.4 Inspector Qualification Requirements
6.1.4.1 Basis of qualification. Inspectors responsible for acceptance or rejection of material and workmanship shall be qualified. The bases of Inspector qualification shall be documented....
and it goes on listing the acceptable qualifications.
(1)
(2)
(3) An individual who by training or experience, or both, in metals fabrication, inspection and testing, is competent to perform inspection of the work'

Some contracts may specify more, but if not specified in the contract documents basically it is anyone the contractor feels is qualified to inspect and they have documented these qualifications.

God Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-13-2011 17:06
John and Marshall are exactly correct.

The only other thing to be added is an awareness that specific contract language or local/regional requirements may *exceed* D1.1 requirements even while referencing it.

Edit:

Sorry Marshall... I neglected to read the last graph of your post... Perfect as usual.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-13-2011 22:15
Lawrence, John, Marshall.

Your answers are NOT entirely correct.  The "bases of qualification" must be documented.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 07-13-2011 22:21
Joseph

First off I enjoyed your informative piece in the Inspection Trends Magazine.
Thank You

Second if you read my whole post I believe I did too LoL:cool:

6.1.4.1 Basis of qualification. Inspectors responsible for acceptance or rejection of material and workmanship shall be qualified. The bases of Inspector qualification shall be documented.

Very Respectfully
Marshall
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-13-2011 23:10
Some jobs or contracts specify that the welding will be inspected by a certified welding inspector.

M.G.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-13-2011 23:24
Thanks Joe

I can always count on you to be "entirely correct"
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-14-2011 10:14 Edited 07-14-2011 10:17
Guys, it is just a statement by the company that the welder in question has been continually welding using a process that he/she was qualified with....any supervisor or manager could do that whether they were qualified (and documented) as an inspector or not really doesn't have anything to do with it...does it?

I happen to be a CWI and sign off that my welders have been continually welding, but really our plant manager could sign those same documents and he isn't a CWI or qualified in any way, shape or form. There are owners of small companies signing these welder continuity records who are not certified or qualified, but they have been paying their salaries and observing these guys welding for them over the past six months, so they sign and date the document stating just that....may be I'm not following the original question, so I'll stop rambling for now.
***EDIT***
now that I'm re-reading the OP....I was originally thinking they were asking about maintaining the welder's continuity....rather than actually qualifying and testing.....sorry about the off topic ramble.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 07-14-2011 10:51
John
:roll:
Marshall
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Who's Qualified