Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI EMPLOYMENT
- - By gyadon (**) Date 11-15-2002 19:30
I have had my CWI for two years now. However, I have been in the welding and inspection field for a long time. When I tested and received my CWI it opened up other jobs. Now it seems employers want more certs. It looks like I am going to have some time off due to not finding anything for CWI alone. I am thinking about picking up some API certs to insure continued work. Would anyone have suggestions on which might be the best to get, ie 510, 570, 563. My objective is to work a few more years full time then part time into retirement. How about NDE certs? Any discussion would be interesting.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-18-2002 13:22
Well, UT has kept groceries on the table for me. I took it up because it was interesting to me, but found in our area there's not alot of level II UT guys. I've kept up my Level II UT, MT, PT and CWI certs. over the years and stay well fed, wife and kids aren't going hungry yet.
Keep looking and Good Luck,
John Wright

PS. Check out Krautkramer NDT Schools in Lewistown, PA., Jim Fauth help me through all the Level II stuff years ago. Great Guy!
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 11-18-2002 17:36
gyadon:
I lived off of my CWI exclusivley for several years before I got my:
AWS-CWE
ICBO-SS&W
NDT Level II (in 3 methods)
local Deputy Building Inspector licenses (this includes about 10 different jurisdictions like COLA, LACo, Orange County, etc.) An ICBO license, $$ and exam or interview is required for most.
certification from the State for manufacturered housing
ISO training and exams
And this ain't all of them!

Where does it end? It does not. It depends what kind of work you do or want to do that will determine how many, what kind and how much you want to spend. I don't work petrochem any more and don't wish to. Then all those API, ASME, NBPV, NACE, etc. would be required in addition to the above.

The last few years have changed. Now I rarely use any of my certs/licenses except for my SCWI, and even that is not not required because most of my clients want the thing attached above my neck in lieu of a card or piece of parchment.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-19-2002 00:46
I have been a CWI and Certified in MT PT. Useful experience in certain industries has kept me employed more than certification. I would take a look at whats needed in your area and go for it.

Good day

Gerald Austin
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI EMPLOYMENT