Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / New Student
- - By DGXL (***) Date 11-15-2002 19:41
My name is Rob. I am a new student to NDT. Looking for advice on how to start, what to read. etc. Am related to DGXL and am presently on his handle until I get logged in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-15-2002 20:51
Hello Rob,
What field of NDT are you looking to get into?
Structural Steel is the field I'm presently in and I am qualified in PT, MT, and UT (all level II) and I'm a CWI.
Depending on the contracts we get, the contract determines how much of each of those methods we use to assure the customer a quality weld. As a shop standard I presently UT 100% of all shop welded full pen joints.
Do you currently hold any certifications?
NDT has been very interesting for me, I enjoy the UT Inspections most of all. PT and MT have their place, but are not as interesting to me. There are lots of NDT methods used in a variety of fields. You'll want to start with the methods used where you work, so you can start under a level I and train for your level II as you get the experience. Kraut Kramer NDT Schools in Lewistown PA is where I recieved my training and I worked under our level III here until he retired and I moved into his position as QC manager. I still have to have a level III to watch my techniques and go over our written procedures. I am working towards a level III status.
I'll be glad to help you where I can,
John Wright
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 11-15-2002 21:58
John,
I am presently in the process of pursuing MT, VT and PT. Just starting out, thats why I am seeking advice. Structural Steel will be my primary interest. Not ready for UT yet. DGXL (my brother) gave me the general dynamics and aws books to start with. Going to do my first test in a few minutes.

Going for level 1 in MT and PT and hoping for any info on these methods.

Thanks for your reply. Will let you know how today goes soon.

Rob
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-18-2002 12:45
Hope you did well on your test
John Wright
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 11-23-2002 00:26
John,
Just took my first test. Did o.k. with NDT but still have a long way to go. Will knuckle down this week because I will be tested next week as well. Having some trouble understanding direct and indirect magnetization & discontinuities. Thanks for the help and encouragement so far. Will get back to you some time next week- will be on line soon at my own addy.
Rob
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-25-2002 12:34
Rob,
Look for you next week
John Wright

PS. You probably just think you didn't do so well. You probably did fine, all this is just new terminology at first, I bet you did better than you thought. I felt the same way until I got all my test results back.
Hang in There!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / New Student