Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / wps a588
- - By strat (**) Date 07-18-2011 01:33
If welding a588 that is going to be exposed, bare weathered, multi pass groove with E8XTX A5.29 filler metal for atmosheric corrosion and weathering characteristics, can this be done with a pre-qualified wps, a558 is a group II material, therefore can you write a wps just for a588 welded with 80 series filler or would you have to produce a pqr. Table 4.5 PQR essential variable changes - filler metal 1) Increase in filler metal classification strength. But, Table 3.1, a588 with note b Special welding material and WPS(e.g. E80XX-X low alloy electrodes) may be required ect. ect. So does that mean that you can write a WPS prequalified to meet the requirement, or does a PQR need to be performed, i'm a little stumped
Thanks
Strat
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 07-20-2011 21:46 Edited 07-20-2011 22:11
I normally work with ASME Sec IX and VIII Div 1 but have some experience with AWS D1.1 in the past.

You bring up a good topic here and I was hoping someone with more expertise would have jumped in here.  Maybe later...

I'm teetering on the fence here and am checking with more experienced cohorts.

After reading it over, over again, I believe it is prequalified as long as it is not a filler metal of alloy group B3, B3L, B4, B4L, B5, B5L, B6, B6L, B7, B7L, B8, B8L, or B9.

QCRobert
Parent - - By strat (**) Date 07-21-2011 10:29
QCRobert,

Thanks for the reply and my thinking is as yours per Table 3.1 note c, but, as in Table 4.5, 1), Increase in filler metal classification strength is a essential variable, all wps's here are for 70 series filler. A588 - prequalified material, 80 series -essential variable
Thanks Robert, like you stated, maybe someone with more expertise will jump in

Strat
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 07-21-2011 15:34
Strat,
I posed your question to some very astute, learned colleuges and here are their answers of which I concur;

connectegr
Maybe I will be smarter in my response over here in the AWS section.  I have also done a little homework.  Sorry for my learning curve.  Provided that your weld falls with parameters of Chapter 3; base metal, filler metal, welding process, preheat, etc.  So that all parameters are prequalified, then your WPS is prequalified and does not require physical testing.  I believe in your case all the parameters are prequalified.  To give proper credit, I also asked the Chair of D1.1 and he clarified my poor understanding.     http://www.FerrellEngineering.com 

Mr168
Yes, you can use a prequalified WPS with an 80 series filler under certain circumstances.  You have to navigate around D1.1 Chapter 3 to find it, but the intent was to permit the use of fillers like an ER80s-Ni1 for A588 and A709 Gr.50W for weathering steel color match purposes.  See Table 3.3 and paragraph 3.7.3 (in the 2000 Edition, reference may have changed in the newer edition).
Parent - By strat (**) Date 07-21-2011 18:53
QCRobert,
Thank you very much for your time and efforts on this question, im going with pregualified as well
Again Thanks,
Strat
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / wps a588