Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cast aluminum with SMAW
- - By Skaggydog (**) Date 07-22-2011 16:06
Can anyone recomend a good electrode that has worked well for him?
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 07-23-2011 20:13 Edited 07-23-2011 20:26
I have very minimal experience with SMAW on aluminum, but the best welding aluminum stick electrode I ever tried was manufactured by Rockmount / Nassau.  Whatever you use, be sure you meet the required storage requirements.  Alum rod left out deteriorates pretty bad, doesn't weld well, and is prone to porosity.

That said SMAW on aluminum can still be a struggle.  If you have to use SMAW and have a DC power souce that will take a remote, a foot pedal or remote amperage device will improve matters.  Just like with TIG you need more heat to start, less once underway, and little towards the end of a joint.  If you have a remote device and are well coordinated you can turn it down with one hand while underway, or have a helper turn it down on command. 

And of course using techniques to control the extent of  base metal and electrode temperature changes will help, such as only welding a few inches, welding from the ends of a joint towards the center, controlling preheat and interpass temp, stopping before the electrode burns down far enough to get excessively hot and starts falling off, using run off tabs, etc.
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 07-24-2011 04:02
I'd recommend you think about braze welding instead of SMAW. Tensile/Yield of brazing material often meets or exceeds that of the base materal, depending on what the base is and the selected filler is. Silicon Bronze could be expected to give good results on aluminum. SMAW not generally considered for high quality welds, GMAW or GTAW are usually the processes of choice when high quality welds must be made in aluminum. In addition a lot of cast aluminum is not considered to be weldable: for example 2000 series alloys are usually considered non weldable and most 7000 series castings are not considered good candidates for welding.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-24-2011 05:16
I gotta ask;  

How does silicon Bronze join/braze/weld aluminum with a melting at a minimum of 600 degrees higher than the aluminim base metal?

Original poster... Please look further before spending money on Si Bronze filler.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-24-2011 05:39
I noticed that too.

There are some brazing & soldering filler metals specificly for aluminum, they work at 1100 f and mid 700s f.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-24-2011 21:16
You must be meaning to say Al Si filler or even an Al Si Cu filler much like what 99205's link suggests for low temperature brazing...

Silicon Bronze will not work with Aluminum unless there's a new product out there which is not really a traditional silicon bronze per se, but something different because more than likely it has a certain % of Al in order for it to bond properly to the Aluminum parent/base metal... It would be beneficial to us for you to elaborate further on just what you meant to convey here with your post so that we don't all assume that we comprehend where you're coming from.:wink: Clarifying what you meant is always a good thing IMHO.:cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 07-24-2011 23:56 Edited 07-25-2011 00:27
I seen some "Alumiweld" rods on Youtube.  They were from Harbor Freight and the package says they are a flux-less low temperature brazing rod. The video shows the rod flowing into the melting base metal (I think).  The package says the working temperature is 730 deg.F, but the video looks to me like the base metal is meltng?
The last time I gas welded aluminum, about 38 years ago, it was a *****, with flux and mixing the puddle with the rod.  This looked very easy to use in the video. Perhaps this would do me better than SMAW.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-25-2011 03:20
I have used similar rods at a demonstration at a steam & gas engine show. They work great for soldering holes in beer cans with a propane torch. The flame provides the oxygen free atmosphere. The parent metal does not melt.

I got a package, but I don't like beer, so havn't had to repair any beer cans :grin::grin:
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 07-27-2011 16:12
Yes, exactly silicon bronze would not work, I misspoke.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cast aluminum with SMAW