Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / weave as a cover pass?
- - By klootwyk Date 07-29-2011 18:27
Hello everyone:grin: I am a special inspector in Hawaii. I have a question regarding a welders full penn weld. He did a weave pattern on top, it was very nice, and my boss had him remove it and weld stringers. The code says a fill pass can not be more than 3/16'' of a inch. Does this apply to the reinforcement at the top of the CJP as well? Thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-29-2011 18:35
Without seeing the WPS that was used for that weld...it may be difficult to answer the first part of your question about the weave. AWS D1.1:2010 Table 6.1 for Visual Inspection leads you over to Figure 5.4 concerning the weld profiles. Figure 5.4 shows several configurations of weld joints (take note of Dimension "C") and leads you over to Table 5.9 and 5.10 for the maximum reinforcement that is allowed. Typically it is limited to 1/8" for materials less than 1" thick.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 07-29-2011 18:56
D1.1 Code does not address the use of stringers over weave pass technique nor the bead width.

However your WPS may stipulate such.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 07-29-2011 19:03
klootwyk

Welcome to the American Welding Society Online Forum

As John mentioned without more information we can only speculate the answers.

But if the boss had him remove it I bet it wasn't an allowable weld.

Boss's don't generally make work where not needed.

But welcome to the forum.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 07-29-2011 20:00
Are you sure the 3/16 " isnt the thickness of deposited metal in one pass not the width of the weld.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2011 20:27
What welding code are you welding to?

I am not aware of any welding code that limits the width of a weave bead other than a repair made without the benefit of PWHT of an ASME Section VIII vessel (if memory serves me correctly) or if the welder is using FCAW or GMAW, a split layer technique is required when the width of the previous weld layer exceeds a certain threshold when welding in accordance with AWS D1.1.

There is limitation on the thickness of an individual layer when working to an AWS D1.X welding code, but the limitations are dependent on the welding process and position.

If you are working to AWS D1.1, you might want to check Table 3.7 for specifics.

You have to define the applicable welding standard, the welding process, and welding position before a proper answer can be provided.

As mentioned by Mr. Roberts, the contractor's WPS may impose requirements that are more stringent than the applicable welding standard. That being the case, you need to review the code and the appropriate WPS before you can make a proper determination.

Same post, same answer.

Best regards - Al
- By klootwyk Date 07-29-2011 06:18
Figure 5.4 (D) in AWS D1.1 shows a acceptable groove weld with a max 1/8'' cover pass. (E) says you are not to have weld overlap, but the maximum fill pass allowed is 3/16''. How are you to have a weld profile on a 5/8'' thick plate CJP that has a gradule transition to the plane of the base metal? Does the fill pass criteria apply to the cover (reinforcement) pass?
- - By klootwyk Date 07-29-2011 17:48
Hello everyone:grin: I am a special inspector in Hawaii. I have a question regarding a welders full penn weld. He did a weave pattern on top, it was very nice, and my boss had him remove it and weld stringers. The code says a fill pass can not be more than 3/16'' of a inch. Does this apply to the reinforcement at the top of the CJP as well? Thanks
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 07-29-2011 19:46
Code does not address the topic of stringers verses weave pass but your WPS may stipulate such including width of weld bead pass.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2011 20:24
What welding code are you welding to?

I am not aware of any welding code that limits the width of a weave bead other than a repair made without the benefit of PWHT of an ASME Section VIII vessel (if memory serves me correctly) or if the welder is using FCAW or GMAW, a split layer technique is required when the width of the previous weld layer exceeds a certain threshold when welding in accordance with AWS D1.1.

There is limitation on the thickness of an individual layer when working to an AWS D1.X welding code, but the limitations are dependent on the welding process and position.

If you are working to AWS D1.1, you might want to check Table 3.7 for specifics.

You have to define the applicable welding standard, the welding process, and welding position before a proper answer can be provided.

As mentioned by Mr. Roberts, the contractor's WPS may impose requirements that are more stringent than the applicable welding standard. That being the case, you need to review the code and the appropriate WPS before you can make a proper determination.

Best regards -Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-29-2011 20:29 Edited 07-29-2011 20:32
In case anyone is wondering what is going on with the flow of this thread....

I combined all 3 of the similar topic threads together by the OP into one thread, so the OP will have all of the answers in one place.

edit*
Plus it will help others who reply to not waste their valuable time duplicating answers to the same question that may already have been answered.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-30-2011 11:31
My mind Joh:yell::yell::yell::yell:n!!! It's too much for me to cover!!!:yell::yell::yell::lol::eek::roll::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-30-2011 21:32
Henry, I'm happy to see you still have a sense of humor. Even if no one else gets it, you can still laugh at your own jokes!  :lol:

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-30-2011 22:29
Thanks Al,

Laughter, Great music, and an eclectic sense of humor are each one of the most important reasons why I'm still ticking - even though I've taken quite a licking.:lol::grin::smile::wink::cool:

Another reason is because of all of my friends in here, and the ones who remember me from the good old days when illness to me was equivalent to a foreign language.:roll::lol::wink:

Thanks for being such a good friend Al!:smile::wink::cool: The same goes for the rest of you "skally-wags!!!":razz::grin::lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-01-2011 21:35

I combined all 3 of the similar topic threads together by the OP into one thread, so the OP will have all of the answers in one place.

edit*
Plus it will help others who reply to not waste their valuable time duplicating answers to the same question that may already have been answered. Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
John Wright
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-01-2011 21:35

edit*
Plus it will help others who reply to not waste their valuable time duplicating answers to the same question that may already have been answered. Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
John Wright
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-01-2011 23:30
you must be an old fart,  to have to post twice, in order to read it once.:razz::razz::razz:
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-02-2011 11:11
Life is going really fast for Jeff.....LOL :razz:
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-02-2011 11:36
YOu guys ain't lyin. Just exactly how do you slow all of this down?  :lol:
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 08-02-2011 12:33
This has gone where I don't know but I never really liked the terminology "Old Person" but this makes me feel better about it.
And if you ain't one, I bet ya you know one!
I got this from an "Old Personal friend of mine"!

OLD PERSON PRIDE
I'm passing this on as I did not want to be the only old person receiving it. Actually, it's not a bad thing to be called, as you will see.
Old People are easy to spot at sporting events; during the playing of the National Anthem. Old People remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment. They know the words and believe in them.
Old People remember World War II, Pearl Harbor , Guadalcanal , Normandy, and Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War, The Cold War, the Jet Age and the Moon Landing. They remember the 50 plus Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005, not to mention Vietnam .
If you bump into an Old Person on the sidewalk he will apologize. If you pass an Old Person on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady. Old People trust strangers and are courtly to women.
Old People hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make certain the lady is on the inside for protection.
Old People get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children and they don't like any filth or dirty language on TV or in movies.
Old People have moral courage and personal integrity. They seldom brag unless it's about their children or grandchildren.
It's the Old People who know our great country is protected, not by politicians, but by the young men and women in the military serving their country.

This country needs Old People with their work ethic, sense of responsibility, pride in their country and decent values.

We need them now more than ever.
Thank God for Old People
I am Proud to be getting close LoL
Marshall :cool:
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-02-2011 11:44
Carl

..."old fart"...      Perhaps it would be more polite and politically correct to use the term "Senior Flatulent".
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 08-02-2011 12:14
"Senior Flatulent"...... thanks for the laugh this morning.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 08-02-2011 16:38
I like that, I'll have to remember that one!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / weave as a cover pass?