Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / sharing wpqr/wps
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 07-29-2011 19:58
Hi all im currently working on a project where the steel erection company also owns a fab shop
This company owned fab shop ran a wpqr and wps for A514 type q.  The company i am working at is
fabricating for the same project. We  also have some A514 ype q that needs to be welded. Is it
permissable for one company to use another companys wpqr and wps if the EOR accepts responsability

Thank you Joe
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 07-29-2011 21:59
4.1.1.1  Qualification Responsibility
Each manufacturer or contractor shall conduct the tests required by this code to qualify the WPS.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2011 20:30
The EOR is not going to accept responsibility for the fabricator or the erector's work unless he has a screw loose!

If the fabricator and the erector are the same company, the answer is yes. If they are owned separately, each with separate liability, then I would be inclined to say no.

It has to be with the question of liability for the work produced.

Best regards -Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-29-2011 20:35
I'm with Al....I know small fab shops that also erect what they fabricate, so they use/share the same WPSs where practical. Otherwise it would not be a good idea.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / sharing wpqr/wps