Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Entry Level Welder certification
- - By don (**) Date 11-18-2002 19:13
I am curious about SENSE programs who issue the entry level welder program.
1) how long it takes other instructors to get a student through entry level welder certification? If I have a dedicated student it seems to take at least 700 to 800 hrs. minimum, most take more. Does this correspond with others or am I not pushing hard enough?
2) How do other instructors take the students through the processes? I do the processes seperately and have the students test (qualify) at the end of each process, then I have them do it all at the end. I know it is suggested that all qualifications be delivered at the end of the training program.
3) What % of your students are able to earn the entry level welder certification?
4) What curriculum(s) do you use? We use the reccommended AWS materials in addition to Welding principles and application by Jeffus. Its though to cover SO much info.
5) I have more individuals interested in 3G/4G, and 6G qualification prep, especially adults, than entry level welder certification. Is this true elsewhere?
6) How do you give the written test?
7) If you could change anything about the entry level welder certification process what would it be?
8) what do you feel are the best parts of it now?
just interested, thanks.
Don

Parent - By cccasey (**) Date 11-23-2002 03:11
Don,
I teach in a SENSE program here in Northeastern ARizona and use the NCCER AWS welding curriculum. They have made great efforts to align their curriculum to match the AWS competencies in the entry level program. I do use Welding Principles and Modern Welding as supplemental reference material.
For a new student with a firm dedication to each assignment, it takes between 600 and 900 hours to complete the entire level.
I use the tests provided by the NCCER and have then complete all the NCCER Level I requirements for that curriculum then toward the end of the course I offer an additional course just for the AWS competencies that weren't covered by the NCCER. This includes the workmanship qualification tests, some Stainless steel and some aluminum as well as the 200 plus question summative exam. I give that test in one to two sittings depending upon my time restrictions.

The entry level program as it is right now requires a great deal of dedication to complete the entire thing. Actually only about 10% of my students complete the AWS program as it is written now. I understand that AWS is revising the format to allow entry level welder quals in the different processes. This will give instructors much more flexibility to accomodate the students who only need one or two processes to get themselves started in the work place.
Most fast track students want to qualify on plate and pipe and realistically in the industry today these are the quals that count. I believe that once the word is out about the AWS entry level welder qualifications then more employers will see the benefit of a well rounded welder coming to work for them. I have had power plant managers talk to me about the need in this economy to have skilled workers to choose from even if they're right out of school. It's too costly for them to train them.
I am a strong advocate of standardized basic craft/technical training throughout the country and so I've aligned myself with the AWS and the NCCER who promote that same philosophy. I belive employers would like to know that the person trained in Arizona through a specific welding program is as qualified as the person trained in Maine, Florida or Washington State under the same program.

I'd like to hear from other SENSE instructors as well, so I'll keep checking your post.
Curt Casey
Welding Instructor
Parent - By chris kipp (*) Date 11-27-2002 00:32
Don, I have been teaching to Entry-level standards (secondary students) since the infamy of the program..as of this date, I have not had any students complete all 9 tests successfully....maybe I'm not pushing hard enough ??? Many students opt for the AWS D1.1 certs, since they are directly applicable.
I take my students through fillet welds in all processes (one at a Time) the first year of instruction(495 hours)..then we spend about 8 weeks on each process their 2nd and 3rd years, completeing certification tests at the end of each semester.
As per curriculum, I use MAVCC Fundamentals of Welding the first year and Hobart's the second and third years.
Indeed, morew students are interested in D1.1 certs, since the employers' are looking for these.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Entry Level Welder certification