Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding X10CrAl (W. Nr. 1.4713)
- - By Duncan (*) Date 11-19-2002 06:24
Hi, guys. I'm new around here, although I browse through here on a regular basis for help on a lot a things.

This time around I'd like for some advice on welding of a heat resistant steel to carbon steel & itself. (See topic heading) I'd prefer welding it with SMAW or GMAW, although FCAW is also an option.

So, do you guys have any suggestions for filler metals. Someone suggested that I weld it with E309L, but I'm not too sure about it.

Thanx.
Duncan
Parent - - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 11-19-2002 07:13
Welding ordinary stainless steel to carbon steel is usually done with an 309 type filler material. But in the case of use of the weld at higher temperatures (>200°C / 392°F) carbon can penetrate from the carbon steel into the weld caused by diffusion of tha carbon atoms. The weld becomes now brittle and will loose its ductility. Examples of fracture after welding with 309 : fracture of a weld on an exhaust pipe of a vehicle ; fracture of a weld from an oven to bake bread. Constructions with carbon steel and stainless steel.

In your case a heat resistant steel is welded to carbon steel and ik suppose it will be used for high temperature ? ... In this case a good practice is welding with an E NiCr-3 type filler (Inconel 600 type) The Ni in the filler material will be a barrier preventing carbon penetration into the weld.
Parent - By Duncan (*) Date 11-19-2002 11:04
Thanx Tim.

I appreciate your response & I think I'll give it a shot.
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 11-20-2002 20:43
I don't have my Stahlschlussel handy, so I do not know what the material is that you have mentioned. (X10CrAl) Can you give an AISI equivalent, or material composition?

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-20-2002 21:04
To better match a filler material, you need to know what type of stainless, and what type of carbon steels you are dealing with. An ASTM number will do.(ie. ASTM A36, or ASTM A572 Grade 50, etc..etc.. for the carbon steels, and the ASTM 304, 308,316L, etc..etc.. for the stainless steels)
John Wright
Parent - - By Duncan (*) Date 11-25-2002 08:36
Unfortunately, it's a German steel with no ASTM designation.
But like I said, Wr. no. 1.4713. I found that the trade name for it is Thermax 4713.

Hope that helps.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-25-2002 12:23
Duncan,
Try this,
http://www.edelstahl-witten-krefeld.de/e_pdf/remanit/4713_uk.pdf
Is this the material you are talking about?
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding X10CrAl (W. Nr. 1.4713)