Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API-1104 Weld Tests. Need some info please.
- - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 08-16-2011 22:43
Greetings,
I'm in the process of being scheduled for a welding test with a major natural gas company.   Pipeline maintenance only, not new construction.
The woman on the phone was not sure about the weld tests but I'd like to get a head start.  I am a new CWI and experienced welder but have never taken the full battery of API-1104 tests.  The open root 6G test is not a problem.  The only one I am concerned about is the branch weld.  I've had no experience laying one of these out by hand.  Not sure if they allow you to use a template or not.  Can anyone suggest a web site or publication that shows how to perform this layout?  A source for the templates?  Maybe a youtube video?  The actual welding portion is the least of my concerns.  It's the layout I'm worried about.  I'm really pumped for this job and would appreciated any help at all.  Thank you.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-17-2011 02:58
Up on the top line is "Search" Put in "Branch Layout" and start reading.
If the company will allow a template, remember the template must be made for the schedule of pipe you are using. If the stencil is made for standard wall 12 inch and you have .430 or .250 then the stencil will be off. The throat will be OK but the points will be too short or long.
Get a Graves Blue Book. It has all the lengths for different schedules of pipe. Laying out a branch is not hard. Use adding machine tape the length of the pipe and fold it to make a roughly 2 inch square. The fold marks will be where you make your marks for the lengths of the branch.
Glad the welding does not worry you, but getting the branch to fit may concern you a scoach. Also the run pipe will have to be cut and the opening will have to match the branch to get a good bead.
Parent - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 08-17-2011 11:44
Thank you.  I've used the Franklands book before and will purchase the Graves also.  The company gives you several months after hiring you to pass all the API-1104 tests so I should have some time.  The 6G pipe test gets you in the door.  After that it will be up to me to practice until I get it right.
Parent - - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 08-17-2011 15:47 Edited 08-17-2011 16:06
Maybe they'll let me use one of these:cool:

Just joking but this tool looks awesome for fast bevel calculations on all pipe and tube sizes.  Very sweet time saver for sure but expensive.

http://www.pipemastertools.com/

Check out the Customer Pics in the link.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 08-17-2011 17:34
Ive tested for several gas companies in so calif and  they all gave a 12" weld 5g  14" off ground,  bottom section of 30"  14" off the ground

12" branch test they let us use templates.  fillet weld plates making like a lap weld horiz & overhead. 

ran 5p+ roots with 7010 fill and cap,   7010 hpy all the way out.   good luck
Parent - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 08-17-2011 19:28
Thanks!  I assume by fillet weld plates you mean the branch weld with the sleeve on top?  Was it all downhand?

I took a test several years ago for a gas line job and it was 12" 6G, E6010 all down hill.  1/8 rod for root and hot pass followed by 5/32" fill and cap.  All downhill.
I guess it depends on the company which test they give.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-18-2011 00:47
Once you learn how to lay out and cut a branch, with a Graves, you can knock one out really fast. I have seen welders lay out, cut, fit, grind and tacked up for test with standard wall pipe in less than a hour.
Granted, not many.
Your time is in the fitting and grinding.
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 08-18-2011 03:13
Take your time making it fit. It will sure save you some grief. You might want to practice some 7018 too. The gas company I work for has you do a 12" butt 5p+, 12" branch 5p+ and a 4" on 12", open root, 7018 all the way out. If you want to try that do a search here because dbigkahunna gave me alot of help on it a few months ago. It'll make you pull your hair before you get it figured out.:eek::grin:
Parent - - By hagain55 Date 09-17-2011 02:24 Edited 09-19-2011 11:46
deleted spam
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 09-17-2011 07:00
Wow, I think I had a brain seizure trying to read that.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-17-2011 16:33
Well at least some spammers can be entertaining with their "grasp" of welding related lingo. Regards, Allan
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API-1104 Weld Tests. Need some info please.