Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Tack Welding WPS
- - By TheIowan Date 08-19-2011 19:15
We are welding some product that needs to conform to D1.1  We are working on the WPS for the welding and the following question came up after observing different weld settings for tacking than the final weld on initial production. Does a tack welder need to be set to the same values the WPS specifies?  Or in other words, does a second WPS and PQR need to be performed to tack at different weld settings? 

My initial feeling is that the tack weld becomes a part of the finished weld and it must conform to the same criteria when the joint is completed. That said, it should be welded with the same settings as the finish weld WPS or at a minimum a Seperate WPS for the tack weld settings developed and evaluated using the same quality criteria as the finish weld.

Thanks in advance for your feed back.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 08-19-2011 20:21
Review D1.1 (2010), Clause 5.18 - Tack welds and construction aids.
Parent - - By TheIowan Date 08-19-2011 20:58
Thank You, I knew that had to be there some where.  I can always find what I need a day too late be it a lost wrench or a bit of info.

Thanks Again
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-20-2011 08:24
First off, "WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM!!!:lol::lol::lol:" "The Iowan."

I would like to suggest that you read the link below which will bring you to a thread which is based on a similar query much like yours.:wink:

I believe you will find the answers to any question regarding the tack welds in question by visiting the link below.:wink::cool:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=28682

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Tack Welding WPS