Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / New Toy for the Rig
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-21-2011 01:12
I picked up a new toy for my rig last week. I've been a good boy for 100,000 miles and decided that I wanted a bit more for towing, fuel mileage(ok, also for fun). I picked up a Quadzilla Adrenaline and tossed it at the trock. It's got 10 programs, all change on the fly. EGT probe, boost and optional fuel pressure. Plugged the oil temp sender into my oil filter, no auto trans so don't need to know the trans temp. It has settings at 0-10. Setting 0 stock, Setting 1 fuel economy and hp starts at number 2 with 50hp I believe. I've gone back to stock a few times and thought wow!!! How did I ever get anywhere!! Hahaha!!

I've had a week to play around with it and see what there is to it. At setting number 7 it gives me 135hp and goes up from there to 180hp with 420b-ft of torque. Found out the first day that my 400/800 southbend clutch will handle the 415hp and 900+ lb-ft of torque!! Don't mess with the settings above 7 much though. EGT's spike pretty quick and hit 1400 once and shut her down quick!! Good quick way to melt a turbo!! Been staying at number 6 all week looking to check the fuel mileage. Number 6 gives 120hp which in theory puts the ol' gal around 355hp. It's amazing how much you can feel the difference. Stock truck 235hp to 355hp. Passed a pokey car the other day and the dang truck just lept right out and was out and around in no time. Left a bit of a haze behind me but not to bad. Anybody looking to spice things up in the cab of their truck might check out Quadzilla. I was impressed with the wire harness, connectors, directions, everything. Darn fine product and can update it on your home computer! Guess I need to get it in here and see if I have any updates. I have not towed the trailer with it yet to see what type of manners she has towing as far as egt's with a heavy load, heck think the truck itself is a pretty heavy load! I have been driving it as normal, normal take off's and so on and do not leave large plumes of smoke, shift and no clouds, not even a puff but can feel the difference in power. On number 6 you get past 1/2 pedal and she'll sit you back in the seat though!

Best thing is I have my own tailgater elimination device. You know the people, tailgating, drafting whatever you want to call it. You can't see their headlights and barely know a car is behind you and the only reason you know is because you can see the occasional mirror pop out. Not anymore, now with the new pest elimination system you simply click up to setting number 10, ease off the throttle about 5-10mph and let the rpm drop, then hammer the go pedal to the floor. Within seconds your pesky tailgater will be jamming the brakes in a mad fury wondering what just happened to the truck in front of him as the large cloud of soot and ash lands on their windshield!!

Anyhow, had to put that out there. Pretty slick product, don't know if you Ford boys should put it on your truck or not though, the powerstroke might not handle it!! LoL!!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-21-2011 03:44
Do they say what the actual maximum boost pressure is? Must be pretty much.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-21-2011 11:46
My boost max's out at 22psi but it's still waste gated. You block the waste gate open and as much fuel that pours out the exhaust I would bet it would over spool the stock turbo. Probably get a j hook to adjust waste gate but can't go much maybe up to 30psi. Get above 35 on the stocker and it looses efficiency. May never find out true potential of the quad unless a large turbo and 5" exhaust fall in my lap! Have spooled up to 30psi with the 50hp Diablo power puck but with the puck I ran out of fuel and really did not feel much different. Don't think I'd have that problem with the quadzilla. Always dreamt of owning a vehicle with 400hp....never suspected it would be a 10,000lb truck!!! Smoked a powerstroke the other day, he got to toying with me and left him in a cloud. Later I found out in a text it was a kid from the welding college!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-21-2011 16:16
Here I am looking at ways to get some better fuel economy and you are building a drag race rig!?!?!   Amazing what you can get out of some different fuel maps and such.  Good for you Shawn, everybody deserves a toy now and then, just don't melt it down or blow it up.:lol:

I use to have an honest to goodness Batman device on an old Dodge Conquest I had....the turbo had developed enough slop in it that when I was heavy on the throttle for a while and let off suddenly it would dump about 1/2 quart of oil into the exhaust!  I truly would "smoke" anyone that raced or tailgated me.:lol:  I miss that thing, 60 pirrelies all around, 4 wheel disc, independent rear axle, 6 speed....way too much fun in a little 4cyl.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / New Toy for the Rig