Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PQT & WQT- to AWS D1.1 & ASME SECT IX
- - By Nalla (***) Date 08-21-2011 13:55
Dear Experts
I need all you guidance best method on:-
1 - Qualifying Welding Procedure Qualification to AWS D1.1 & ASME Sect IX in one  Test. ( with/without Impact Energy value ).
2 - Welder Qualification using PQR qualified to AWS D1.1 & ASME Sect IX
3 - Propose to use Dual Codes Qualification in one Welder/Welding Operator's Certificate.

And also want to welders using PQR qualified to AWS D1.1 & ASME Sect IX.
Weld Process - SMAW , FCAW . GMAW ,  GTAW , SMAW/FCAW, GTAW/SMAW....etc

My purpose.
1 - Reduce number of PQR and Welder Qulaification
2 - Minimize Certification documenation and necessary follow-up
3 - Muliti-purpose welder/welding operator

Pls explore and advise  in wider and practical zone.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 08-21-2011 19:44
Nalla

I am not familiar with ASME Section IX requirements but

It would seem,

If you have the Qualification Procedure containing all the essential variables of both Codes and ensuring the more stringent requirements are met the same test could be given and if passed two sets of documents could and would still need to be written for the Welders Qualification of record to each of the codes,

The Welder would take just the one WPS test developed with the combined Codes requirements contained in the WPS you develop.

You still would basically need the same number of PQR's just that you would not need to do testing on each code if all the requirements are met by the more stringent WPS for the less stringent code.

Just my  ΒΆΒΆ's

Good Luck

I hope this helps more than hurts.

Marshall
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PQT & WQT- to AWS D1.1 & ASME SECT IX