Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Gloves for use around fabrication shop
- - By thcqci (***) Date 08-24-2011 21:04
What kind of gloves do you issue?  Specifically, do you supply different kinds of gloves for different employees or simple one size fits all gloves?  Do you use cut resistant/proof gloves?

Currently, we supply two kinds of gloves for the employees in our structural steel fabrication shop.  As is probably typical, price plays a big role in the selection of those gloves.  I know cheaper does not count if it does not last so willing to pay more if it lasts longer.  We have Chinese leather and cotton work gloves and similar quality welder gloves.  Neither lasts a long time.  The work gloves are not very comfortable and dexterity stinks.  The life of a pair of work gloves can sometimes be measured in hours to a day or two; almost always less than a week, but hey, they are cheap.  Some avoid wearing gloves because of comfort or dexterity issues.  Following the principle that if the PPE is comfortable, it will more likely to be used, I am looking for some affordable, durable gloves to be used for following tasks:

A) material handlers such as in the yard or when unloading and loading trucks or pulling material to put into shop; these same gloves may also may be useful while making and handling detail, where heat is not necessarily an issue that would require thicker/heavier leather gloves;

B) work gloves where heat can be an issue and the thinner, synthetic type gloves may not be appropriate;  also may be used during oxy-fuel cutting;

C) welders gloves (FCAW and SMAW);

D) paint bay gloves (not rubber gloves); will obviously be disposed of more often but where comfort and dexterity are still issues.

Please offer suggestions from products that are proven in your facility.  Feel free to offer vendors and costs.
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 08-25-2011 10:38 Edited 08-25-2011 10:47
A) standard work gloves for handling, but if finger dexterity is required, a pair of mechanics gloves fit the job nicely!
B) thin leather welding gloves
C) see B, or the thicker leather "cookie monster" (don't ask...) welding gloves
D) disposable, chinsy, "the cheapest that money can buy" gloves, although the second option within option "A" will also work.

Gloves are a funny thing, ya go cheap, it bites you in the rear.  Ya go expensive, it bites you in the rear.   The stitching usually fails first or guys go "hmm, nice gloves" and they grab em and use em for an application they weren't made for, and they get destroyed and they wonder "Hmm, glove broke.  NEEYUHHHH!  NEED NEW!" kaizanned in two hours...or 2 minutes if they're horny enough ("So SOFT!")  :eek:

Now I'm not a business owner, but I've seen some strange things in my days....
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 08-25-2011 15:18
Thank you for the reply and not trying to be rude, but I am looking for specific brands and/or models of proven products used by steel fabricators so I can obtain some samples and prices.  If you have a vendor that you get good prices from and would like to recommend them, that is great too.  Also, I don't mind telling me to stay away from a failed product.

I am curious if other fabricators supply different kinds of gloves or if you do it the way we currently do it; one size fit all, don't like them buy your own.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-25-2011 16:06
We have gloves here in stock for purchase(get a discount for the bulk purchases so the employees are able to get a discount and have them deducted weekly from thier check)...we haven't ever furnished gloves in the 27 years that I've been here. Welding gloves, regular brown cotton jersy gloves, leather double palm gloves...all purchased by the employee.

The painters get furnished (paid for by the company)thick rubber gloves to handle the thinners and paints. Same thing with fitter's tools....employee furnishes thier own tools(except for inspection "calibrated" tools, co furnishes those).
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 08-25-2011 22:35
Everybody has their own opinion on what works for them as far as welding gloves. But for general work on the ditch etc. I have been buying Kinco brand goat skin gloves. You can't beat them for wear. I average 2-3 months on a pair and we are required to wear them for 99% of our everyday work. One thing I really like is that even if they get soaking wet you can ring them out good, let them dry over night, and after wearing them about 5 minutes they are soft as new. About $11 at most farm supply stores like T.S.C.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 08-26-2011 11:33
Princess Auto.  get the gloves while they are on sale and stock up.  When I was working up north this is what my boss did and for the work we were doing (ignorant at times!), they worked great.
- By Victor Smith Date 09-29-2011 16:35
In the shop at school we are given one size of welding gauntlets. We are also given either cloth garden like gloves or different sized latex gloves with grips on the inside.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Gloves for use around fabrication shop