Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / extended die grinders
- - By cmays (***) Date 08-26-2011 13:13
I'm looking for some good heavy duty extended die grinders for the fab shop. Any where from 27" to 36" long. Anybody know where to find such an animal?
Thanks.
Parent - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 08-27-2011 01:01
have you tried McMaster-Carr or MSC?
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-27-2011 01:11
Ain't never seen no such animal. What is the maximum diameter, can You just make an extended handle for an air die grinder?
Parent - - By justahand (*) Date 08-27-2011 02:01
With a shaft that long wouldn't there be a safety concern?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-27-2011 02:34
The extended ones I have used are only about 6-8" longer than normal. The housing goes up to the collett area, there is a bearing there for support.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 08-27-2011 13:30
http://www.henrytools.com/extended_die_grinders.htm
Something like this is what I'm looking for. Bottom of the page.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-28-2011 03:10
That is one long grinder, didn't even know they were available. I have several similar to the one shown on the top left.
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 08-28-2011 05:40
Oh Yah they are long and very expensive about $1100!!!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-27-2011 02:42 Edited 08-27-2011 02:54
We used to use a pneumatic powered die grinder with Bench grinder sized wheels. (8" or 10" X 1-1/2" wheels?? sorry it was a long time ago). This was in the early '70's and a union shop, so they were either Ingersol Rand or Chicago Pneumatic (was there any other brands available back then???).
They were used to flush grind the root penetration inside a full stick of 18" pipe. So yes, they were heavy duty.
Grinder would be hard piped to a 20' joint of 1" pipe with a 1/4 turn valve to actuate.
Hope this helps.
It was a large Armco Steel shop making big, heavy thingys, so we had big, heavy tools and equipment.
And since it was in Texas, everything was BIG.
The shop was so big, the hand rails were made out of 6" pipe........
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-27-2011 02:51
We had grinders like You described at the truck frame plant, don't remember the brand. They take a reinforced wheel to deal with the 5000-6000 RPM, but yes, the look similar to a bench grinder wheel. We had the same grinders with sanding drums and short 2" wide sanding belts also.
Parent - - By Pat (**) Date 09-03-2011 23:28
Can't help on the long die grinder, but I heard, and have been looking for a die grinder extension shaft that I can put on my die grinder that would allow mw to grind down the inside weld seam on 2" square tube. This way I do not have to buy receiver tube at their ungodly asking price. I was told they have a 6, 8, and 12" shaft, but have not been able to find them.
Parent - By jbndt (**) Date 09-06-2011 20:05
Pat,

If you look closely, you will notice that receiver tubes are swaged for a certain distance from the end.
You can also feel where it steps up and down with your fingers.
This allows the really “square” (solid) hitches to fit into the receiver.
(Without, having to grind the corners off of the hitch.)  :wink:

Now, if you just HAVE to use plain old square tube … 

One “gentleman” that I worked for, made a foot long “sled” out of a piece of square bar.
The sled had seat for holding 2 square carbide tool bits, staggered and slightly overlapping.   (He also staggered some!)  :eek:
With a little grease on the solid sides, he used his log splitter to push it through the square tube to remove the weld seam.

Quicker than grinding!

Cheers,
jb
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / extended die grinders