Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Exam Help
- - By ctate (*) Date 11-22-2002 14:52
Hello, I will be taking the CWI exam in March. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be studying. Are there any practice exams out there.

Thanks,
Chuck
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-22-2002 17:50
Hi Chuck,
Which code will you be taking? (API 1104, D1.1)
Get a copy of the code you will be taking and tab the sections. Get familiar with where to look up things. Time will be your enemy during the test if you are fumbling around through 502 pages of codes and such. The three tests all have time limits.
I was fortunate enough to go to the week long prep class, and I think it may have help to prepare me for what I was about to see on that Saturday.
Good Luck with your test(s) in March,
John Wright
Parent - - By ctate (*) Date 11-22-2002 20:50
John,
I am not yet sure of what code I will be taking, I am fairly not up on niether one of these codes. do you have any suggestions on which one i should take.

Also does anyone know of anyone in the Northeast Tennessee area who would be willing to do some individual training for the CWI exam?

Thanks,
Chuck
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-22-2002 21:30
Chuck,
AWS has a set schedule for the exams. You will have to look it up and see when they will be in your area again. I have a guy that took the exam when I did, He failed it. He went to Knoxville, TN to retake it, but failed it again. Anyway, I know that they schedule Knoxville, TN sometime during the year. The prep course that I took was held in the same Hotel that the exam was given in. (Mon - Fri was class and Sat was exam.)
I took the D1.1 exam, but it's really up to you which exam you should take. The prep course will be D1.1 oriented. The guys on this BBS have various opinions about which exam to take, all of them have valid points. Look back through some of the old posts on this topic and read them for a better understanding of what I'm speaking of.
Which ever code you choose, you will be able to interpet either code, provided you pass the exam. The CWI certificate does not have any code listed on it.
I wasn't trying to scare you telling about my employee's failures, I just want you to prepare yourself before you go take the exam.
Hope you fair well on the exam,
John Wright
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 12-10-2002 15:27
The biggest thing is to learn how to schedule your time. You only have 2 hours for each part of test which will consist of 3 parts, general knowledge which is (closed book), The code portion, (you choose which code to test on, (open Book) and the hands on practial part where you actually determine if welds meet acceptance criteria using a code book develped specially for this test. Learn your way around the code book. My biggest down fall was not wasting too much time on individual questions. Go thru and answer the easy questions first. Go back to the hard ones. You will find answers to some of the hard ones when you are looking up the answers to other questions. MANAGE YOUR TIME. Learn how to manuver around the code book. DO NOT TRY TO MEMORIZE IT.
Parent - - By richpitt3 Date 12-11-2002 01:42
HELLO CHUCK THE CWI TEST SOUNDS HARDER THAN IT IS. LET ME GIVE YOU MY HISTORY. I JOINED THE ARMY AT 18 NOT KNOWING HOW TO WELD. MORE OR LESS WAS TAUGHT THE BASICS OF WELDING AND HAD TO LEARN THE REST MYSELF.LET THE ARMY AFTER 7 YEARS AND TOOK A JOB AS A STEEL FABRICATOR. AFTER 4 YEARS I AM THE QUALITY CONTROL INSPECTOR. BEFORE I STARTED STUDYING TO BE A CWI I HAD USED THE AWS D1.1 ONLY TO SEE WHAT THE FULL PENETRATION WELD SYMBOLS MEANT ON A DRAWING.MY COMPANY GAVE ME A COPY OF THE "CERIFICATION MANUAL FOR WELDING INSPECTORS".THAT IS THE ONLY BOOK I USED TO STUDY FOR THE CWI EXAM BESIDES THE AWS D1.1. BEFORE THE SEMINAR AND THAT MANUAL MY GENERAL KNOWLEDGE ON WELDING WAS NOT ALOT.THE SEMINAR INSTRUCTOR WAS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE AND I LEARNED A LOT.I PASSED THE TEST THE FIRST TIME. ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS READ EVERY QUESTION AND DO NOT ASSUME BY THE QUESTION WHAT THE ANSWER IS.I ANSWERED SOME QUESTIONS ON THE HANDS ON TEST WITH ANSWERS I WOULD NEVER GIVE IN THE REAL WORLD . GOOD LUCK AND DON'T PANIC
Parent - By don (**) Date 12-12-2002 15:19
Hello,
Parent - By don (**) Date 12-12-2002 15:27
Hello,
my 2 cents worth.
-If you dont care then take the API 1104. Its MUCH shorter and you can order a question bank to help you prep for it. Both the code (you will have to take your own) and the question book (API 1104 code clinic) can be order3ed using links on this site. You can tab sections in your code book for faster reference.
I suggest you take the school but if you cant I suggest you take the friday part (hands on) then the test sat.
If you cant do either then study the welders inspection manual and and the CWI inpectors example question booklet. Both can be purchased here as well. And for the hands on study the HOT manual. Hands on training.
good luck email if you have questions

Parent - - By wolfpack51 Date 01-26-2003 20:59
I just took the CWI test Jan 25, 2003 in Dallas. I have 22 years as a pipe welder and fabricator. I took a CWI Prep course and am working on a Associate Degree in NDT. I studied alot and took practice tests till I was sick of them. I used the 1104 code, it was tabbed and highlighted for the test. I had a hard time, I knew the material, and finished all parts in 1 hour 20 min or less, so i had time to go over my answers, It is hard, you are under pressure of time, and the money you spent to do this. On the hands on part, you assume it is all the part B code book, that all the answers are there, not so, some of the questions are common knowledge, so you have to use your knowledge instead of the book. The Part C- code book test has some weirdly worded questions, and some questions have more than one correct answer, it is a strain when you are wanting to pass. Learn your way around the code book, because you will have to recognize where the answer is by the keywords in the question, it is not easy. I tell you get some sample questions, get the study guide, get your code book, and study. Good luck, I wont know unitl march if I passed or not, but it is hard, that is my opinion.
Parent - - By ctate (*) Date 04-15-2003 18:58
Well, I received my results back today and I passed.
I am now a CWI.
I want to thank all of you for the help and advice.

Chuck
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-16-2003 11:49
Hey congrats!
I knew you could do it,
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Exam Help