Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Recently obtained endorsements
- - By cwi2009 (**) Date 08-29-2011 19:05
I have just passed ASME Section IX, B31.1, B31.3, and API 1104 endorsement exams. I originally passed the CWI exam to D1.1. Hmmmm...now what? I would eventually like to become a NACE Coatings Inspector but do not have enough vacation days to pursue that at the moment. I guess I will look for something better, where I will feel more appreciated. Everyone have a great Labor Day weekend!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-29-2011 19:30
Congratulations on your endorsements. Wow, you get that NACE, and you'll be golden.
Nahhh, are any of us ever appreciated?? I think NOT! Hopefully, get a paycheck big enough that you no longer give a rats hiney.
Enjoy your Labor Day.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 08-29-2011 21:46 Edited 08-29-2011 21:49
Awwww come on now Superflux, how could you not feel appreciated living it up in that spacious house with the pool, local taverns and wild women on the weekends in Afgannyland......:razz::razz::razz:

Anyway, Dan, congrats on some well earned endorsements!  With what you got you could be working side by side with Superflux in paradise:wink:!

QCRobert
Parent - By cwi2009 (**) Date 08-30-2011 06:29
Thank you, QCRobert! I appreciate it!
Parent - By cwi2009 (**) Date 08-30-2011 06:23
Thanks, Superflux! The paycheck is okay; not as good as it was back home in the Midwest though. May have to look for work back there soon, because my current supervisor already told me that these endorsements won't do me any good here.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-29-2011 19:40
Dan,
From the salary surveys that I've seen...NACE inspectors(CIP III with the endorcements added) make a whole lot more money than Structural Steel inspectors with CWI and NDE certs do.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-30-2011 13:47
I would concur with that anecdotaly john. A friend of mine increased his annual by 40 to 50 k with the NACE coatings and corrosion accreditations. He was already a CWI. There is much greater demand for it at this time.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-30-2011 02:50
Congrats on the endorsements!!  Makes for an impressive resume for sure.  Just for thought...with the API 1104, go and add some of the other API codes.  You will have to go somewhere besides AWS to get them.  You could also add Bolting.  I have found it useful both in monetary value as well as knowledge gained by studying through the AISC Construction Manual.

At your current rate, you shouldn't have to take a nine year re-cert for the rest of your life...  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By cwi2009 (**) Date 08-30-2011 06:55
Brent,
Thank you for the advice! I will look more into others. Have a good week.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-30-2011 21:12
Good job on the endorsements. Now you don't have to worry about taking the Part B examination when it is time for the 9 year renewal!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By cwi2009 (**) Date 08-31-2011 01:40
Thanks, Al! That is true.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-31-2011 05:31
cwi2009,
Just talked to a friend yesterday down in Mobile? that is a CWI/NACE and she does quite well with those credentials. I definately am putting the NACE cert on the top of my to do list for when I return stateside. That combination is THE ticket to on and off shore pipe line and platform work.
Once again, good job on the endorsements. It all pays off in the long term.
Parent - - By cwi2009 (**) Date 08-31-2011 06:02
Cool! I hope you do go for it, Superflux. I believe I will try for it here in a few months. I hate to put it off and never get the time to indeed pursue it. Might of as well do all I can while single and having no kids.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-31-2011 06:09
Dan, thanks for cheering me on. API 570 and NACE.
If you think you have too much time and money, just get yourself a wife and kids...................................
Parent - - By cwi2009 (**) Date 08-31-2011 06:14
Haha...thanks for the advice!
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 08-31-2011 11:29
looking into the Nace certification program they offer a level one course on DVD
witha 3 day hands on training .  is level 1 sufficient to qualify for most jobs or
do you need to get at least a level 2.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-31-2011 11:59
joe,
If you're talking CIP I would venture to guess that if the customer excepts Level 1 then your good. Though I certainly am not an independent contractor to verify this. But I would caution those thinking in these terms that Level 1 will not provide you the level of understanding required.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 09-04-2011 23:51
Go for the CIP II and get the Peer Review later. As a contract field inspector, the II is all that would be required unless you are going for a higher level company position or are wanting to have it just for the grins and giggles. If you get the CIP II with a CWI you are looking at salary in the $70 to $90K. The Peer Review would not add that much additional $$ to the bottom line. However, if you can qualify for a API certification, especially 653, you can be looking at $120 to $150 and up.
There is a lot more to it than just having the certifications, as verifiable experience will be required. And do not kid yourself. When you get in the $150 and up range, there is a lot expected of you with no supervision. You are the one in charge.
The donkey BBQ's you get at that level can be impressive. But the good news is you do not get them often. Seldom more than twice.
Question is, does the vacation time and appreciation your company give you justify NOT pursuing the CIP II? And are you willing to do what will be required at that level?
Parent - By ross (***) Date 09-25-2011 20:38
I hear there's an aerospace (D17.1) endorsement under development.

Ross
AWS Marketing
- - By dhwootten (*) Date 09-03-2011 13:42
Has anyone out there gotten the Structural Bolting Inspection endorsement?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-03-2011 14:49
As stated in an above post in this thread, I have.  There are several others on this forum as well.  I use it in our community to perform Special Inspections on Bolting.  The city officials here are very familiar with AWS and believe their program to be of quality and said if I got it they would honor it.

I found it a very challenging exam.  Nothing different in style from the CWI, but it is no cake walk.  I believe some who have taken both the AWS and the ICC have found them to be very similar.

Did you ask for any other reasons than my basic input here?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By dhwootten (*) Date 09-03-2011 18:40
Oops!  Missed that you had actually taken the bolting endorsement...and I thought I read everyone's reply... :red:

The reason I asked is because I was wonderfing about the difficulty, along w/ what study material was supplied. 

Originaly, I thought I would start with the bolting endoresement; however...."I found it a very challenging exam" makes me think I should just start with a different codebook instead.
Thanks so much for the info!!

Donna
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 09-03-2011 21:59
Steel Structures Technology Center has a pretty good pocket handbook for structural bolting.  They also have a study program, but I can't vouch for it.

http://www.steelstructures.com/
Parent - By dhwootten (*) Date 09-04-2011 03:04
Thanks 99205!!  I'm thinking I might hold off a little while on the bolting endorsement but I'm definitely going to check on some of SSTC's self study courses as the prices are very reasonable.  Thanks again...
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-03-2011 23:23
99205 has a good suggestion.  I have heard much good about their classes/seminars though I have not taken any personally.

I had a good teacher in the person I work with as a TPI and just spent a lot of time in the  AISC Construction Manual (of which the 14th edition is now out, mine was to the 13th ed).  There are several places with info you would want to be familiar with but mainly the RCSC portion on Structural Bolting. 

While I did find it "challenging" I do not mean to scare you away.  Just don't take it lightly.  Very worthwhile and not that difficult to do self study for.  Check out this link: (which I will attach after I locate it, it is in the Bolting sub section here on the forum). 

https://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=21957

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By dhwootten (*) Date 09-04-2011 03:24
Thanks for the link Brent.  I think I'll check out the self study courses through SSTC.  I didn't realize those were available and the prices are awesome! 

I'm definitely not scared away...yet.  I knew I needed to find study material before I tested but by you saying it wasn't a piece of cake for you...well, that just lets me know that I'll have to prepare a good bit more as I'm still pretty green.

I love this forum!!!  :grin:

Donna
- - By arcray (*) Date 09-07-2011 13:24
Just recently took and passed ICC Bolting exam. Had I known about the SSTC seminar would have taken it, well worth the price. I think it was more diffacult without it, only had time for self study. What made it harder is not being able to keep the tabs in my AISC manual. Too much searching back and forth. Plus there where more admin questions than I had thought there would be and more from the IBC book. All in all it was not a diffacult exam if you work with bolting as I do. If you don't take the seminar. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Parent - - By dhwootten (*) Date 09-08-2011 02:04
Thank you so much for the detailed information.  I am taking some self-study courses through SSTC to prepare.  Why did you choose the Bolting exam through ICC and not through AWS?  Where did you find the exam schedule, etc?  I haven't found that on the ICC website.  Also, would there be an advantage to having both?

Sorry for so many questions....  I'm struggling, trying to figure out what certification or endorsement to get next that would make me more marketable. 

Thanks!
Parent - - By arcray (*) Date 09-08-2011 12:30
I choose the ICC exam because of time and availability. The job site I am on was closer to the ICC test center. Also, the company I work for has a habit of telling me 6am that I have a 10am flight to another job for a few weeks so I signed up for the next exam in my area. I found the exam location on the ICC web site, just click on "find a test center". I do not know if there is an advantage to having it over AWS but I have done a little research and found that some areas require ICC over AWS. Maybe that AWS is just offering it is only reason. I will, when time permits go for the AWS endosment.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 09-08-2011 13:49
if your already a cwi ICC gives you their structural steel welding inspectors license
if you pass the bolting test. remember you still have to pay extra for the welding inspection license
you just need to fill out thje paper work and pay them  good luck  Joe
Parent - By arcray (*) Date 09-08-2011 14:50
Already done that Joe. I am still going to get the AWS Bolting just feel I would like to have the AWS certs to go along with the ICC.

Bill
Parent - By dhwootten (*) Date 09-09-2011 13:38
That's good to know!  And would give me something else to add to my resume.  I might go for the ICC test first.  Thanks!!!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Recently obtained endorsements