Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cast iron repair
- - By spence Date 11-23-2002 01:35
Which would be a good electrode to use in repairing automotive cylinder heads that have some rather deep craters from rusting ? These castings are very hard to replace as they are 50 years old . The pocked areas are in the combustion chambers and none are rusted through to the water jackets and there are no cracks . Supposedly this grey cast iron had a fair amount of nickel alloyed with it when cast . Thanks for this VERY informative site . Spence
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 11-23-2002 18:46
Just my opinion but! I don't believe welding is an option.

Welding to cast Iron is bit of a misnomer and if your application I can't see it working well at all.

I would be very worried that any kind of filler material would let go and do considerable damage.

Can't you blend and polish the pocked areas to prevent carbon from building in them.

Parent - By spence Date 11-23-2002 21:04
Perhaps blending in the low spots is an option , however I will have to take an equal amount out of all the chambers to keep the volume the same . Thanks for the reply , Spence
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 11-25-2002 18:52
Spence, I believe this can be satisfactorily welded using GTA and a Cronotron "CRONOCAST 211" electrode. There are other brands that will do, I just don't know them personally. I would use a preheat (500 deg.) and a post heat if possible. If GTAW is not possible, use an ENi SMAW electrode. It is important to have a very clean and well prepared surface before welding. These electrode are easily machined after welding.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By jer (**) Date 12-24-2002 17:35
Hello Mike, I was wondering who makes Cronocast 211 tig wire. I have always used a nyrod wire or nyrod 99 stick from Praxair.

J P Streets Welding
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 12-26-2002 13:27
JP, it is made by Cronotron. Contact Lisa Ryan aka the "Welding Lady" @ weldinglady@yahoo.com or 440-230-2867. She is a very knowledgable and willing to help.

Mike Sherman
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-25-2002 19:50
Are you sure the piece you're talking about is made of gray cast iron, as you mention? As you say, an automotive cylinder head is on top of the combustion chamber, and so subjected to high temperature and pressure during the combustion cycle.
Gray cast iron doesn't withstand any of those conditions. Nodular cast iron is far better, but 50 years ago it wasn't invented yet.
In my opinion, that piece is made of cast steel and there should be no major problem in welding it. Before, submit it to sandblasting to near white metal.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By spence Date 11-27-2002 02:39
I wish it was cast steel but most engine blocks and cylinder heads from the 1950s to the present day were cast iron . Thanks for the response .
Parent - By Steve 3884 (*) Date 11-27-2002 13:59
Hi Spence,
I do business with some of the cylinder head shops and hope to offer some insights here. Welding in the combustion chamber will ruin the head if there should happen to be a crack present or if you should be so unlucky as to create a crack to deal with. An arc welded deposit will not seal.

The best equipment available and widely used by the cylinder head shops for repairs in the combustion area is the powder welding torch. Proper prep, preheat, and procedure is required the same as with any other process.

HTH,
Steve
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cast iron repair