Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Need some opinions
- - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-04-2011 04:33
Here's an odd one.

One of our many suppliers fabricated some pump skids for us.  During the course of our independent inspection on receipt it was noted that the weld caps hadn't been ground flush for UT.  When we really started getting into it, it turns out there was also a bunch of 21.07 mm thick P1 piping that also wasn't PWHT.  Vendor / supplier claims they were fabricating to ASME V111, Div. 1 (which would have provided an "out") but the calculations and design are for B31.3 High Pressure piping.:evil:

Oh yeah, these pumps have already been installed offshore.... :(

So, here's the question; we ARE going to do a PWHT on all the welds that require PWHT and we ARE going to do RT AFTER PWHT....:yell::yell::yell:

Now, opinions please ~ Is there a need to re-perform Hydrotesting?:eek:
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 09-04-2011 06:54 Edited 09-04-2011 06:57
Hmm, lets see here.  Possible losses due to procedures not being followed are, many lives and tens of millions of dollars.  I would answer your question with one word ---YES.   RT is not going to pick up discontinuities that are not aligned properly for the shot.  Hydro-test is the big CYA here.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-04-2011 09:10
Jon,
Most of my questions are questions I am pretty sure you know the answers to already - not sure why you are posting a yes/no question ?
The most important question is what code was referenced in the purchase order - you the client says B31.3 and the contractor/vendor says ASME VIII.
As you are well aware there is a major difference between the two codes,
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-05-2011 02:14
Well Shane, I didn't look at the PO but our vessels engineer did and he claims it stated B31.3 for the piping bits.  When we looked at the calculations the calculations were based on B31.3 so that's all the convincing I needed.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-05-2011 02:20
Hi Jon,
If it is a pump skid does it have a vessel or vessels as well as interconnected flanged piping ? If so then ASME VIII would be applicable up to the first flange face and then all other piping would be B31.3.
IMHO hydrotest is required.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-05-2011 02:18
99205, the only reason I'm even asking about hydrotesting is there WAS in fact a hydrotest on completion of fabrication.  Now doing PWHT I'm just not personally convinced it needs to be repeated as no welds were touched except to do the PWHT.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-05-2011 02:27
Jon,
The reason I thought hydrotest is required is

345.2.2 Other Test Requirements
(a) Examination for Leaks. A leak test shall be maintained
for at least 10 min, and all joints and connections
shall be examined for leaks.
(b) Heat Treatment. Leak tests shall be conducted after
any heat treatment has been completed.

Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-05-2011 02:30
Yes, I suppose you're correct Shane.  There is an initial service leak test that is to be performed so was kinda hoping we could take credit for that.

By the way, if you haven't already seen it check this link: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/fan-central/5565092/Flash-mob-Haka-rocks-suburban-mall

RWC starts the day I fly home.  :)  Go AB!
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-05-2011 07:23 Edited 09-05-2011 07:46
I agree with Shane that when pressure test is required, it shall be conducted after any heat treatment.

But pressure test is not always mandatory, e.g. API 570 says…Pressure test are normally required after alterations and major repairs. When pressure test is not necessary or practical, NDE shall be utilized in lieu of a pressure test. Substituting appropriate NDE procedures for a pressure test after an alteration, rerating, or repair may be done only after consultation with the inspector and the piping engineer.

these pumps have already been installed offshore.... :(

API 570 covers piping system that have been in-service.

~Joey~
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-05-2011 08:55
Joey, they are installed but have not yet been placed in service (thank god).
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-05-2011 09:49
I’m surprised:neutral:, is there a contract agreement between the supplier and main contractor / owner?  When overseas TPI / and expeditor are involved, they will surely ask for the documents relevant to their work. You can’t deliver your goods to erection site without the release note issued by the overseas TPI:smile:

~Joey~
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-05-2011 10:32
Yes, well it just goes to show you sometimes TPI isn't all it's made out to be.  I am on Owner's side.  Of course as with any multi-million dollar / euro contract of course there are / were contract agreements.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-05-2011 11:11
Just what you don't need Jon, writing NCR's when you are in "wind down mode". LOL !!!
When do you de-mob ?
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-05-2011 12:44
Ha, exactly right Shane.  Anyway I don't write NCR's but would be the one approving concessions against the specification or far more rare, against the code.

I fly for home this Thursday, have my 28 days off and do one more gig in Kaz, last day is 02 November and 2 days flying home puts me home on my birthday! :)
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-06-2011 12:16
Procurement documents determine code of construction, not supplier judgment.
Hydro must be performed after PWHT.
570 does not kick in because we are dealing with a new construction violation.
And you cannot argue for NDE exemption because somebody screwed up.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Need some opinions