Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ceriated vs Zirconiated
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-06-2011 20:12
I've been looking at tungsten and need to buy some for some aluminum projects coming up and have been reading about ceriated and zirconiated. From what I'm seeing the ceriated is a dual purpose, AC or DC where the zirconiated is mainly for AC, have seen some say "not recommended for DC". I've found a place out in California, Diamond Ground Products, Inc., http://www.diamondground.com/tungsten_home.html where I can get either at about the same price(1/8).

Is the ceriated going to be better than the zirconiated? I think I've read on here the ceriated will handle higher heat than zirconiated. I was wondering if the zirconiated will be better all out for aluminum welding compared to a dual purpose type of tungsten such as the ceriated. Has anybody used anything from this company before? I've been doing some reading/searching on here but have not found anything real specific as a comparison. Got word from one person today that said they(zirconiated) were not worth the money but at roughly $3-4 more than the ceriated it's not a horrible difference. Thanks for any info,

Shawn
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-06-2011 23:55
Shawn have you looked into the 1.5 Lanthanated Tungsten we use this where I am employed and plan to stay with it. Do some research on this before you make your mind up it will weld AC & DC .

M.G.
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 09-07-2011 01:41
Look into the Gold band, 1.5 LAN tungsten.  Alot of the contractors Ive worked for have gone to that. Myself I use Red,  Thoriated for most everything at the shop, AC/DC you name it. Its just what I was taught.  I did pickup some Gold band to try on my shop machine, after a few beads I went back to the ole stand by. Im not sure if its a transformer /inverter issue or what. My previous experiences with Gold had always been on the whip end of an inverter
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-07-2011 05:02
Zironium tungstens are very good for AC. But have a lower current carrying capacity than Cerium. Lanthanum, Thorium.    When I was doing Xray inspected work on aluminum castings day in and day out I used Zirconium tungsten and a water cooled torch. They transfer less contamination across the arc when overheated than any other type.  But for regular general purpose use I like a dual purpose type electrode.  Zirconium will not run well DCEN

Cerium and Lanthanum are both good dual purpose tungstens.  Lanthanum comes in 1 and 1.5 percent versions... A manual operator will not be able to tell the difference between Cerium and Lanthanum on AC or DC between 50 and 250 Amps.  Both are good.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 09-07-2011 06:42
I use 1.5 Lan in my inverter for AC with a water cooled torch. Air cooled I don't care for it so I use the ceriated. It all depends on how u have the machine set though.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-07-2011 12:53
Thanks for the replies. The link above does free samples so having them send out some lathanated and ziconiated just to play around with and see what they are like.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-08-2011 08:27 Edited 09-08-2011 08:31
And what type of power source one is using also... In other words, Zirconiated "Wolframs or Volframs" (Tungstens) will work better all around with pre-inverter type AC/DC power sources, and the ceriated or lanthanum "Wolframs or Volframs" are better suited for the inverter type AC/DC power sources of today...:eek::roll::lol:

I second what Larry suggests as I too have experienced the same sort of applications as Larry has described and would also recommend what Larry posted.:twisted::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-08-2011 21:10
Forgot about that Henry, Lincoln Precision Tig 225. Thanks Henry!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-09-2011 04:18
Just to add to it.  Shawn I have been very pleased with Ceriated for My AC stuff....I use a lot less since I switched. When I get done burning up the thoriated on DC stuff, I will never buy any again.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-09-2011 10:47
Thanks Tommy, got some zirconiated and lathanated samples on the way, maybe I'll get a few ceriated samples in a few days and then play around with all three in the shop. Oh, and finally checked my messages the other day but have not gotten back with you. Only guy I know is you!  LoL! Don't have any other connections out that way. Going out today to finish off my "fart pipeline", Hahaha!! Running a methane pipe to a fart stack with a large cauldron where they burn off the gas at a waste treatment plant. This sure is a first!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ceriated vs Zirconiated