Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Just starting out weld safety
- - By Anthony Goodrich Date 09-09-2011 01:51
Sorry if this is in the wrong area. I just started my first college classes on Tuesday in welding. I've had just a little experince around the home shop welding and torch cutting. My question is what do you recomend as professionals already in the field, for safety equipment. I'm asking specifically about jackets, gloves, sleeves, and helmets. Should go and buy a 60 dollar jacket and 40 dollar gloves or just get the "GREEN" economy jacket and a couple pairs of welding gloves. I'll be trained to certify in Stick, Mig, Flux, and Tig welding so the gear will need to be multipurpose. I'm considering getting a specail pair of gloves just for tig so thats not a big deal. Thank you in advance for your help. Also one more requirement I'll need an idea of where to get this in a hurry. Gotta have it by monday tuesday at the latest i think.
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 09-09-2011 03:54
Go to your local welding supply store. They will have what you need. When I started I thought a green jacket would be all I needed till I started a 4g and got some sparks down my neck. Get a decent jacket if you can afford it. At least a combination leather sleeves with fr chest and back jacket. Start with some cheaper cowhide gloves till you learn how to keep your hand out of the heat. And never ever handle your hot coupon with just your gloved hand, only use pliers. Your gloves will last alot longer. Also get the best hood you can afford with an auto change lens. And you might think about having a pair of cheap leather work gloves to do your cutting and grinding in, again to save your welding gloves. Pick up some catalogs while you are there so you can see whats out there. I like Black Stallion and Tillman stuff the best.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Just starting out weld safety